What would happen if you grew plants in carbonated water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What would happen if you grew plants in carbonated water?

Just wondering if anyone has ever experimented with this in the past. It seems like the effervescence would cause you to lose a lot of bubbles initially, but there would likely be a lot of co2 still dissolved. Also, maybe it could be done in a sealed container with not much airspace?

-John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think that injecting CO2 the way that we do it is essentially the same thing, just not under pressure or in a truly sealed/closed system. Without the pressure, it's not possible to get as high a level of CO2 dissolved so you never get a true 7-up level of CO2.

If you were to pour carbonated/fizzy water into an aquarium, I think the CO2 levels would quickly revert to the normal concentration as CO2 passed from the water (quickly, since you will have removed the pressure) into the air.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Amano San did this when he was first entering the world of planted tanks. From what I understand, it worked okay, but our methods are better now.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I hate to be a buzz kill but.........what are you guys/gals smoking here, now I have heard it all, cabonated water, steel wool, and more crazy stuff every week. Maybe I just need to get some and join the party, who's to say.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Carbonated water is essentially superaturated with CO2 so that would probably kill all the fish if you used it 100% but you can add bottles of say seltzer water to your tank and get similar results to injecting CO2 (diffeent methods to the same end) but it just costs alot more.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
Just wondering if anyone has ever experimented with this in the past. It seems like the effervescence would cause you to lose a lot of bubbles initially, but there would likely be a lot of co2 still dissolved. Also, maybe it could be done in a sealed container with not much airspace?
I'm not sure what you are trying to do?
When you set up a plant tank using the typical plans, the plants already will grow way too fast to be easy to maintain. Are you trying for the indoor record?

When I didn't have a CO2 controller, I added CO2 using carbonated water. this works but you have to be careful not to kill your fish.

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Adding CO2 gas has been around in the hobby at least since the 1950's, and certainly well known bu the 1960's, I have a references from 1962 in TFH........the guy suggested using DIY yeast CO2.

Carbonated water or CO2 rich spring water has been documented providing lush plant growth for....well at least 500 some odd years with Spanish Monks with Ponce De Leon in Florida.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I hate to be a buzz kill but.........what are you guys/gals smoking here, now I have heard it all, cabonated water, steel wool, and more crazy stuff every week. Maybe I just need to get some and join the party, who's to say.
i thinks theres a lot of stoners on here

My ADA Mini-M
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I hate to be the double buzz kill, but you're wrong. In theory carbonated water is our ideal. I doubt it would support fish life though.

The goal of pressurized co2 is to "carbonate" the water. Also, carbonated water is made my injecting co2 into a vessel of water at pressure. Nothing more, nothing less.

The problem with actually using carbonated water is that the co2 will escape quickly and it will no longer be carbonated water. A continuous source though, like a co2 rich spring, will grow amazing plants. Tom has some pics of some of these and you can google the spring he mentioned.

http://www.google.com/search?pq=co2+...og&sa=N&tab=wi
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Adding CO2 gas has been around in the hobby at least since the 1950's, and certainly well known bu the 1960's, I have a references from 1962 in TFH........the guy suggested using DIY yeast CO2.

Carbonated water or CO2 rich spring water has been documented providing lush plant growth for....well at least 500 some odd years with Spanish Monks with Ponce De Leon in Florida.
I’m not sure this post was meant for me but even so I don’t get the point? I believe the OP and I both accept that CO2 will improve plant growth. The question is about using carbonated water.
Have you ever used carbonated water? What were the results?
I have and I don’t recommend it because it is too hard to control the CO2 level.
My recommendation would be to get a CO2 controller and pressurized system and don’t play around with carbonated water unless you are doing some kind of research.

If you play with chemicals you should know some chemisty.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode