pmdd/pps or dry dosing questions/tips? drip method? asked 1000 times but yet again! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
pmdd/pps or dry dosing questions/tips? drip method? asked 1000 times but yet again!

Since i have been out of the more high tech planted tanks for a few years now and gone to saltwater im a little weak in the dry fert area again.Yes i did some searching and read some old post before asking this same old question.

I have the rex griggs ferts combo pack for dosing
*Combo Pack1 lb KNO31 lb K2SO4 lb Plantex CSM+B KH2PO4

I always used this for my 2.5 or more wpg tanks in the past with co2 and excel and had great results, but im wondering if the pmdd would be a better choice for me having to dose this dry and mix 3x a week.
Since I have never used the pmdd mix before is it better than dry dosing?
and
Wondering Can I could do a drip method with pmdd and the plantex-b like a saltwater tank?

I am doing the dry fert method for now but hoping to find its easier than the 3x a week method, thanks

Last edited by customdrumfinishes; 07-14-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by customdrumfinishes View Post
Since i have been out of the more high tech planted tanks for a few years now and gone to saltwater im a little weak in the dry fert area again.Yes i did some searching and read some old post before asking this same old question.

I have the rex griggs ferts combo pack for dosing
*Combo Pack1 lb KNO31 lb K2SO4 lb Plantex CSM+B KH2PO4

I always used this for my 2.5 or more wpg tanks in the past with co2 and excel and had great results, but im wondering if the pmdd would be a better choice for me having to dose this dry and mix 3x a week.
Since I have never used the pmdd mix before is it better than dry dosing?
and
Wondering Can I could do a drip method with pmdd and the plantex-b like a saltwater tank?

I am doing the dry fert method for now but hoping to find its easier than the 3x a week method, thanks
EI evolved from PMDD(PMDD pre dates EI about 1-2 years), it was simpler and poses no issues regarding PO4. You might consider adding GH booster to the mix you have now.

Overall, the best management tends to focus on lower light, good high CO2 and current, then things like ferts are much easier and less critical. I'd also suggest something like ADA AS for sediment(Or a DIY soil and then a sand cap), this takes the critical dosing part out of the water column, and likewise, takes the draw out of the sediment if you dose the water column as well, both complement the other and make the long term ease of management for nutrients easier regardless of the other methods like light or CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
I know that the ei is a better method but its a hassle to have to mix every other day and would much rather dose liquid than dry mix.
im also wanting to make the pmdd for a friends tank for easy ferts for them.

Since i dont have any mgso4 can i make a mix using the other ferts and be ok or is the mgso4 really needed? my ph is always around 6.8-7.0
and if i mix without the mgs04 would i use less of the other or less water?

heres the normal pps mix

In 1 liter bottle:
59 grams K2SO4 (Potassium Sulfate)
65 grams KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate)
6 grams KH2PO4 (Mono Potassium Phosphate)
41 grams MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulfate)
Fill with distilled water and shake well. Let sit overnight.

and has anyone ever used a drip method to dose this?

Last edited by customdrumfinishes; 07-15-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode