Best Test Kit Comparison for N/P/K/Fe??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Test Kit Comparison for N/P/K/Fe???

In looking for a high quality (relatively accurate and at least legible) test kit I found the Lamotte and Seachem test kits which compare as follows:

Seachem Test Kits - (75 tests in each) - priced on Amazon
Nitrate $12.19
Phosphate $18.47
Potassium = None
Iron = $18.73

Red Sea Reef Care Potassium Test Kit - (40 tests) = $44.10

Lamotte Test Strips:
Lamotted SciEd Insta-Test Water Test Strips; Nitrate and Nitrite Strips = $10.90
Lamotte Insta Test Copper & Iron Pool & Spa Strips, 25 tests = $21.00
Lamotte Insta Test Phosphate Low Range Pool & Spa Strips (50) = $11.50

Lamotte Liquid/Tablets Reagents Tests: (UK prices converted to dollars, which presumably are nevertheless much more costly than the prices they'd be available in the US)
Lamotte Nitrate 1-15 PPM (50 tests) = $58.99
Lamotte Phosphate Educational Kit (100) = $27.00
Lamotte Phosphate Professionat Kit 0-20 PPM = $79.30
Lamotte Phosphate Professional Kit 1-100 PPM = $97.16
Lamotte Iron Test Kit (50) = $68.29

Lamotte do have a Multi-test Colorimeter Drinking Water Test Kit, which comes with a digital photometer to take the readings, which is awesome... That multi-test does ph 5-9, chlorine, iron 0.1-3 PPM, Nitrate 0.1-25 PPM, Sulfide 0-3 PPM, has reagents for 50 tests, and costs $215.32. So not all the test that I'd want, but a few of those would be helpful and I'd certainly prefer a photometer to trying to eyeball test results.

Lamotte also do have a Hydroponic Water Testing Kit: AM-41 Hydroponics Combination Kit Measures nine essential nutrients, including pH, Nitrate Nitrogen, Ammonia Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Sulphate, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium and Iron, which I was quoted a price of $790 for though... And their HP-1: 4-in-1 test (50 tests) measures PH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium, at the bargain price of just $423!

So the Seachem tests average $0.22 for each individual test, the Lamotte strips average $0.43 per test, and the Lamotte individual reagent tests average $1.37 per test.

Now, if I have a very large planted tank with say, expensive discus and which needs to look good as its in a prominent location, then I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to obtain a relatively accurate result once or twice a month to ensure my parameters and dosing are stable. And I'd heard the Lamotte tests are the best, though pricey, but are they 6 times as good as the Seachem tests? Or are the Seachem tests perfectly fine to use, and legible to read accurately?

Last edited by Mxx; 07-11-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode