Need help with Dry Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need help with Dry Ferts

I am new to having a more high tech tank, in the past I have had low light, low tech tanks and I am looking to go more towards the medium light (2.8W/gal), heavily planted high tech tank. I am looking into adding pressurized CO2 here in the near future, I was wondering what kind of fert regime I should use. I am trying my best to read about all of the EI stuff but I'm getting lost and confused. So if anybody could help me figure out some sort of regime that'd be great! Thanks in advance.
*I also do water changes daily*
Tank: 75G
Lights: 4x 54W 6700K T5HO

Last edited by crazydiscusguy; 07-10-2011 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Incomplete Info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Check out this article:

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...on-Method.html

It's a good one to bookmark.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I try to follow the suggestions of this fellow his tanks are beautiful and I believe he makes his living working around water, it's the third post down and the amounts are for a 50 gallon tank so make adjustments to fit your tank. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...sing-tips.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Algae Grower

I wrote out a long post, but the internet ate it... -_-

As a side note, if your fixture is 4 x T5HO w/ quality individual reflectors you've got a LOT more than "medium" light. The WPG rule is designed for use with T8 bulbs, not T5HOs, and good reflectors really increase their usable light output. Basically with a nice enough fixture, even at 12" over the tank you'll still have high light. Suggested reading.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Aphotic! It looks like I am more in the range of high to too high of light. Which means I definitely need to get some CO2 and start dosing ferts. And thanks everybody else for the good links, the most difficult part for me so far has been trying to figure out a program that I can included frequent water changes in as I do keep discus.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
As far as ferts go, EI dosing is designed to provide an overabundance of every necessary nutrient. Too many nutrients is fine, and doesn't cause algae, no matter what you may read. Just have enough CO2 and nutrients (all of them) for the amount of light provided, and algae will not be a major issue.

Mathematically, the way EI dosing works, a 50% water change once a week will mean that there is *never* more than twice the weekly dose of any particular fertilizer in the tank, even with zero plants. Overdose, then remove half the excess at the end of the week. Simple.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode