Tank infested with ostracods/seed shrimp. How do I kill them and save the plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank infested with ostracods/seed shrimp. How do I kill them and save the plants?

Hello all,
I have a 2 gallon heated and filtered aquarium housing a successful cherry shrimp colony as well as hornwort, java moss, and a grass type plant. I recently discovered an infestation of what I believe to be ostracods/seed shrimp. I understand they are harmless but they make for quite an eyesore. There are large dark ones at the bottom that feed on anything I give the shrimp, and also clear/white smaller ones that zig-zag all over the glass. I donít want this spreading to my other 3 tanks and am cutting my losses now. Iíve read that ostracods are difficult to kill because they are basically a shrimp body inside a clam shell and can close up inside for extended periods of time when water conditions are bad. Because cherry shrimp and ostracods are so closely related Iím hoping to chemically (or some other way) kill all crustaceans in the tank, but save the plants for the next inhabitants. Iíve was very patient waiting for the java moss to attach to the wood in this tank! Anyway, Iím planning on a cocktail of Paracid, Anchors Away, and possibly Heartgard.
Paracidís (http://crystalclearpond.com/TechnicalData/Paracid.pdf) active ingredient is trichloracide, which is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. It prevents the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down leading to death.
Anchors Awayís (http://www.pondcrisis.com/a_dimilin.html) active ingredient is diflubenzuron, which inhibits the production of chitin. They molt and die.
Heartgardís active ingredient is ivermectin, which is binds to glutamate gated chloride channels causing an influx of chloride and neuron hyperpolarization. This leads to paralysis and death as well.
Iím pretty sure that trichloracide and diflubenzuron are both plant safe, but I havenít checked on the ivermectin yet.
Other ideas?
Nitrate overdose. Can I give a dose of nitrate or some other nitrogen compound toxic enough to kill everyone but not hurt the plants? Any fertilizers that would work for this? Has anyone ever heard of trying this?
Salt overdose. Can freshwater plants survive if salt is added?
Increasing or decreasing the pH. How low or high can I make the pH before the plants will die?
Natural predators would be great but that doesnít prevent the spread, just the eyesore, and I donít want to buy natural predators for all 4 tanks.
If these donít work, then Iím resorting to Coppersafe, but that will probably kill the plants. If that doesnít work, then Iím bleaching and starting over.
Please redirect me if this will get noticed more in a different section.
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
tom barr recently posted about nuking inverts using some plant safe pesticide, search his posts on the last few weeks.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I couldn't find tom barr from a search of the forums or members but did find the following links helpful. If you could redirect me on finding the thread you mentioned that would be great!
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...as-snails.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ia-nuking.html
So now I'm also considering a CO2 bomb, soda water, or excel. Does anyone have experience nuking their inverts with any of the drugs/chemicals I'm thinking about?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:46 PM

this might be objecting to you guys....but i will tell it anyway........after my observations I concluded that seed shrimp are harmless for java moss.i kept some seed shrimp together with java moss and observed that the moss grew well.Now I am growing some moss in another container with seed shrimp...they are helpful.These seed shrimp kept my moss safe from algae covering it.....they protected java moss from algae better than my ghost shrimp.Now i always have some seed shrimp in my tank for the protection of my moss and these seed shrimp are very useful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode