Yet another do I need fertilizer question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yet another do I need fertilizer question.

So here is my story:

I'm pretty new to the hobby, started my 29 gallon planted aquarium less than 2 weeks ago. Its been a few days since my first planting and stuff is definitely growing!

Here is my setup.

Light : 2 x 24 Watts Zoo-Med Aquasun T5HO about 20-22 inches above the substrate. According to the PAR data, this puts me at "high" light, but considering the poor quality of my reflector, I am under the assumption that this is actually "medium" light.

Co2 : I am planning to dose Excel. Trying to avoid a pressurized co2 system if at all possible, cost is not the issue. It is for purely aesthetic reasons as I don't want any extra equipment around my aquarium.

Substrate : 2 bags of Eco-complete Red mixed with a bag of fluorite. Mixed for color variation and no other reason.

Nutrients: I'm currently only using Seachem's flourish, which covers most of my micros.

My temperatures are generally around 79 F, PH at around 7-7.5.

My Bioload is as follows:

10 Rasbora
1 Pearl Gourami
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Yo-Yo Loaches

The Questions

1. Do I have too much light for an excel only setup?

2. I am aware of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. I know I will probably have to inject some K, but are Nitrogen and Phosphorous necessary given my bioload and the available nitrates?

3. Is there an obvious algae situation here?

--

I see a lot of people dose dry ferts almost indiscriminately, and I am wondering if I should follow this strategy. My big thing is having to do a 50% water change every week, I would prefer to keep it at 20-25% max.

I guess my goal here is to create a balance between fish waste and plant consumption. Where nitrates/phosphorous from bio waste slowly rise and are taken up by the plants, thus creating an equilibrium, with as little outside (carbon/water/potassium are almost unavoidable) help as possible.

Here is a picture of my tank, planning to fill in the tank with some hairgrass, some blyxa, some more different hygros/lindernias later this week.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	32462  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Someone did do PAR data on the ZooMed T5HO fixtures. Fairly certain some others have tested that particular fixture too. Really though, if it's still a little bit too much, there are other methods of cutting the light down a bit.

In reference to your excel / waterchange / fert questions, a little suggest reading includes several threads here http://www.barrreport.com/forumdispl...nts-Start-here and http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...on-CO2-methods because I think you might find the info to help you match your goals.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallinh View Post
So here is my story:

I'm pretty new to the hobby, started my 29 gallon planted aquarium less than 2 weeks ago. Its been a few days since my first planting and stuff is definitely growing!

Here is my setup.

Light : 2 x 24 Watts Zoo-Med Aquasun T5HO about 20-22 inches above the substrate. According to the PAR data, this puts me at "high" light, but considering the poor quality of my reflector, I am under the assumption that this is actually "medium" light.
I don't know if anyone has measured the PAR from that light. If not, you are probably in the best position to judge how good the reflectors are. No reflectors would cut the PAR to about a third of what good reflectors give.
Quote:
Co2 : I am planning to dose Excel. Trying to avoid a pressurized co2 system if at all possible, cost is not the issue. It is for purely aesthetic reasons as I don't want any extra equipment around my aquarium.
Excel is OK for low light, but isn't nearly as effective as CO2. You might get by with Excel for medium light, but you might not.
Quote:

Substrate : 2 bags of Eco-complete Red mixed with a bag of fluorite. Mixed for color variation and no other reason.

Nutrients: I'm currently only using Seachem's flourish, which covers most of my micros.
Unless you have low light and some nutrients in the substrate, like substrate tabs, you need to dose NPK - not much, but some.
Quote:
My temperatures are generally around 79 F, PH at around 7-7.5.

My Bioload is as follows:

10 Rasbora
1 Pearl Gourami
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Yo-Yo Loaches

The Questions

1. Do I have too much light for an excel only setup?

2. I am aware of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. I know I will probably have to inject some K, but are Nitrogen and Phosphorous necessary given my bioload and the available nitrates?

3. Is there an obvious algae situation here?

--

I see a lot of people dose dry ferts almost indiscriminately, and I am wondering if I should follow this strategy. My big thing is having to do a 50% water change every week, I would prefer to keep it at 20-25% max.
I don't believe anyone posting here doses ferts indiscriminately. A lot of us dose secure in the knowledge that having 2 or 3 times as much of a nutrient as is needed by the plants is doing no harm, so we don't sweat it. Others, like you, who don't want to do 50% water changes, dose more lightly, adjusting the dosages by watching the plants carefully to be sure they aren't being limited by the absence of some nutrients. Those folks can do smaller water changes, less often.
Quote:
I guess my goal here is to create a balance between fish waste and plant consumption. Where nitrates/phosphorous from bio waste slowly rise and are taken up by the plants, thus creating an equilibrium, with as little outside (carbon/water/potassium are almost unavoidable) help as possible.
Many people have tried to create that equilibrium, but few are successful unless they stick with low light. Even then, it won't work without starting with a nutrient loaded substrate, so the plants can always get their needed nutrients through the roots. The best efforts at doing this equilibrium type of tank are the "el natural" tanks, done per the Walstad method.

Hoppy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I don't know if anyone has measured the PAR from that light.
I measured the par on this light over my 29 gallon tank. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-database.html here is a post that has the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks for the insight, and that barreport link is awesome!

I suppose I'll go with the trial and error method and ramp up my nutrient supplements as the plants demand it. The experimentation process is fun anyway.

Thanks again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode