10g, 26 watts, aqua soil, no c02, this is confusing me. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g, 26 watts, aqua soil, no c02, this is confusing me.

So my tank is a couple weeks old and I've finally decided to take the plunge into ferts. Or so I thought. Then I started looking up dosing regimes, using dry ferts instead of seachem's line of fertilizers. The dry ones sounded like the way to go, then I see stuff about high light and c02 and I have no intention of going to a c02 setup until my wallet says I can, so I'm not sure if that's the way to go for me. I feel so lost. I need some sort of direction here, because my own research is just leaving me feeling very unsure about what to go with. What should I be tossing in my tank? Thanks so much for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It's not "what" so much as "how much" you should be tossing in your tank. Going with dry ferts is still a great option - you'll just be using a lot less of them than if you had pressurized CO2. You can do a DIY yeast reactor in a 2L bottle and that will be fine for a 10g tank. That, plus some fertilizers, will increase healthy plant growth. You can also increase the lighting even if you have a stock hood by coating the inside with aluminum foil or painting it gloss white.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
It's not "what" so much as "how much" you should be tossing in your tank. Going with dry ferts is still a great option - you'll just be using a lot less of them than if you had pressurized CO2. You can do a DIY yeast reactor in a 2L bottle and that will be fine for a 10g tank. That, plus some fertilizers, will increase healthy plant growth. You can also increase the lighting even if you have a stock hood by coating the inside with aluminum foil or painting it gloss white.
Are fertilizers still going to be effective at my current light level and no c02 though? I've just heard that the DIY method is a bit of a pain in the ass (from some. Im sure others will chime in and say theirs is no problem at all), and I'm a pretty busy person as it is. I'm trying not to turn my tank into a high-tech setup so quick, as this is my first foray into the planted fish tank, or any fish tank at that matter. I just don't want to be trying to do too much with my tank so fast, especially considering I feel lost as it is where I'm at, but I'm trying.
I imagine there must be some ferts that could benefit my tank/plants, which ones are they?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Plant Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansSpace View Post
Are fertilizers still going to be effective at my current light level and no c02 though? I've just heard that the DIY method is a bit of a pain in the ass (from some. Im sure others will chime in and say theirs is no problem at all), and I'm a pretty busy person as it is. I'm trying not to turn my tank into a high-tech setup so quick, as this is my first foray into the planted fish tank, or any fish tank at that matter. I just don't want to be trying to do too much with my tank so fast, especially considering I feel lost as it is where I'm at, but I'm trying.
I imagine there must be some ferts that could benefit my tank/plants, which ones are they?
They're the same ones that would benefit any tank. Sources of nitrate, phosphate, potassium, and trace nutrients. Really, it's the same stuff that high-tech tanks would use, just at much lower quantities. As far as DIY CO2, you can look into it if you'd like. Check a couple youtube videos on it. You'll have to make a new solution (5-10 minutes) every two weeks or so. You can decide if you have the time to stay on top of it. The nice thing is that if you don't increase your lighting, not staying on top of CO2 and/or ferts won't have any negative effects on the tank. They can only help.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
They're the same ones that would benefit any tank. Sources of nitrate, phosphate, potassium, and trace nutrients. Really, it's the same stuff that high-tech tanks would use, just at much lower quantities. As far as DIY CO2, you can look into it if you'd like. Check a couple youtube videos on it. You'll have to make a new solution (5-10 minutes) every two weeks or so. You can decide if you have the time to stay on top of it. The nice thing is that if you don't increase your lighting, not staying on top of CO2 and/or ferts won't have any negative effects on the tank. They can only help.
Soo, say if I were to follow this, seeing as my tank doesn't have c02 and isn't heavily planted (yet), I would probably want to do a little less than the 10-20 gallon dosing says, and this would be for dry ferts?
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html
Forgive me if there's a forum rule against posting the link I did. I'll take it down if I need to.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Plant Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansSpace View Post
Soo, say if I were to follow this, seeing as my tank doesn't have c02 and isn't heavily planted (yet), I would probably want to do a little less than the 10-20 gallon dosing says, and this would be for dry ferts?
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ing-guide.html
Forgive me if there's a forum rule against posting the link I did. I'll take it down if I need to.
A fraction of it. No more than 1/3, and probably closer to 1/10. And that's only if you're going to do weekly 50% water changes. For what you're looking for, I would suggest literally a tiny pinch of KH2PO4, KSO4, and trace, and a bigger pinch of KNO3, all once a week. If you're planning on doing water changes, do that 2-3 times a week. And you can probably do without the KSO4 if you'd like.

If you start using DIY CO2, you can increase the nutrient dosing. Maybe half of what the EI guidelines suggest. But, again, EI dosing is for use with 50% water changes, so if you're not going to be doing that weekly, use tiny amounts of ferts.

The idea behind EI dosing is to overdose everything, and the way the math works out, with 50% water changes, the maximum level of any fert in the water will never exceed 2x the total dosing for the week.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
A fraction of it. No more than 1/3, and probably closer to 1/10. And that's only if you're going to do weekly 50% water changes. For what you're looking for, I would suggest literally a tiny pinch of KH2PO4, KSO4, and trace, and a bigger pinch of KNO3, all once a week. If you're planning on doing water changes, do that 2-3 times a week. And you can probably do without the KSO4 if you'd like.

If you start using DIY CO2, you can increase the nutrient dosing. Maybe half of what the EI guidelines suggest. But, again, EI dosing is for use with 50% water changes, so if you're not going to be doing that weekly, use tiny amounts of ferts.

The idea behind EI dosing is to overdose everything, and the way the math works out, with 50% water changes, the maximum level of any fert in the water will never exceed 2x the total dosing for the week.
Awesome. Thanks so much for the help. I'm glad this isn't a forum that takes unkindly to n00bs like me that can't search and figure stuff out on their own. I totally would have ended up doing about 75% of that dosing regime. I planned on doing the 50% wc every week, so 2-3 times a week of just a pinch of KH2PO4, trace, and slightly more than that of KN03 oughta be good.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Check out this thread:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...on-CO2-methods

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode