Ferts! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
JxL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Ferts!

I am now ready to buy ferts for my system. Whats the best?
Thanks!
JxL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
As long as you have the basics (N,P,K + trace), anything will work. If you're asking what's cheapest, dry ferts definitely are, by a massive amount. They take slightly more work (you actually have to measure and mix), but by "more work" I mean maybe 2 minutes - at most - per day.

Check our sponsors list. Several of them sell fertilizers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
JxL
Algae Grower

Thanks, Kevmo!
How are the Flourish Tabs?
I also plan to get the entire flourish 'line' of chems. Should I? If not which ones should I get?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I used the flourish line for a year and they work great, i recommend them for sure. The flourish tabs are alright in the way of root tabs, they're mainly trace and iron.. RootMedic's are better if you're looking for a more complete root tab..

if you wanna save money, get dry ferts, like kno3(mainly nitrogen, lil potassium) k2so4 (for potassium) kh2o4 (phosphorous/potassium) CSM+B or Millers microplex (Trace) and Iron Chelate. greenleafaquariums and aquariumfertilizers have them for sale.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would first use the Seachem line of products, and after you learn more about fertilization by reading and seeing the effects it has on plants, slowly dive into dry ferts, because it is much much much cheaper in the long run. Especially for bigger tanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
JxL
Algae Grower

Ok, I will get the flourish tabs and the entire line of products for now then I will move into dry ferts. Thanks everybody!!
JxL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Dry ferts aren't that hard: just look at the sticky at the top of this forum. Of course, you can deviate from this if you find it better for your situation. I would get:

KNO3, KH2PO4, GH booster, trace mix (CSM+B or miller's microplex or other), iron chelate (optional) and K2SO4 (optional).

Dosing iron is good for the plants, and K2SO4 is good to have on hand in case you find that your tank's stock already produces enough nitrates by themselves for your plants. K2SO4 will then allow you to dose potassium without having to dose nitrates or GH booster.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rootmedic tabs produce better results over store bought brands, they are cheaper and last longer. Flourish lines are good but pricey if you are planting heavily. Within a month or two you will want to swop to dry EI, might as well start that way...

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Depending on the size of your tank dry ferts are no more difficult to use than flourishs line if you have the right spoons since you would be using the flourish bottle caps for measuring doses in the same capacity as the spoons. The pinch, dash etc spoons like this are great for tanks under 20g.

Here is a quick google search for the micro spoons. Found these on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E8...453055-1719406

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Is this a hi-tech setup?

Eheim Pimp #448

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode