Dosing iron chelate, if you already have Flourite/Eco Complete - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing iron chelate, if you already have Flourite/Eco Complete

My substrate is a mix of Flourite, Eco Complete, Floramax, and regular gravel (it's a mixture of new and used stuff I gathered while planning the build).

Anyhow, if you are not running CO2 but you are dosing NPK as needed, do you think that dosing iron chelate will be required?

My plants are in a 45g cube and 11g tank, of the following:

1 red tiger lotus
several smaller dwarf lilies
dwarf saggitaria
dwarf hairgrass
Crypt wendtii
subwassertang

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Wouldn't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Agreed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone suggest a decent iron test kit?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Does anything you are currently using have any traces of Fe??? I would just be careful dosing Fe in a tank will slow nutrient uptake, I had a problem with thread algae overdosing Fe so I would try the low side dose if any. It does seem to make the reds brighter and can also make the greens deeper as well but is needed in very low anounts. I can tell you that the Red Sea Fe test is junk, I was thinking about trying the Seachem, Salifert, or Elos Aqua Fe kit but you should ask around with current users, you would only need to test weekly until you hit your target and then every blue moon so I would suggest a good one.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
LaMotte kits are top notch, but pricey comapred to typical aquarium types.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Alternative

How about using root tabs for iron dosing instead?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
How about using root tabs for iron dosing instead?
Root tabs are a substrate-targeting supplement, and I already have Flourite/Eco Complete gravel plus Miracle Gro foot sticks under the heavy feeders. I'm fairly sure root tabs would not be beneficial beyond what the gravel is doing.

I'm more looking for something in the water column (dissolved Fe) for plants like ferns and subwassertang.

I think everyone here is kinda hinting at the fact that this may not be as useful as I had hoped. I bought a 1lb bag of it a while back, forgetting that the Flourite and Eco Complete mix provided iron.

I'll heed your warnings and not dose until I see symptoms.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode