EI Dosing with Seachem Flourish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
EI Dosing with Seachem Flourish

Hey Guys,

So I have been EI dosing using Seachem Flourish as my Micro. Anyone have problems with Iron levels too high using Seachem Flourish as their Micro? I seem to be fighting an uphill battle with hair algae and most places contribute it to high Iron levels. Unfortunately no Iron test kit currently. 55g Moderately planted high-tech (journal out of date). I was dosing 10ml of flourish with each EI dose I'm bringing it down to 5ml hoping to slow this down.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
I don't think your problem is Fe... Giving a quick look at your journal, I would have to say too much light and too little co2.

If you can, raise those light up maybe another 3".

Do you have a drop checker? I have a hard time believing that you are getting the co2 that you need with the amount of lights you have, using DIY co2.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
lights and c02 missuse are the #1 cause for algae of any kind.. plain and simple. if ur using diy c02 i suggest finding a cerge diy reactor thread and build one. VERY efficient. i almost gassed my fish going from glass diffusers to the cerge reactor and i cut my c02 flow rate by almost half. every situation is dfferent but you will get more use of ur diy c02 this way and help create happy plants which reduces algae.

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I also forgot to add that I also use DIY co2 on one of my low tech 29g tanks. I use 2 bottles also. In that tank, using a glass diffuser and a power head above further chopping the tiny bubbles up, I really have to stay on top of changing the DIY mix every week. I change one bottle per week to try to keep it constant. That being said, on a 55g tank you would need at least 4 bottles and have little to no surface agitation to get the co2 to where it needs to be. I am willing to bet that the HOB filter is out gassing the little amount of co2 that you are injecting.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I really need to update my journal that's why I wrote it is out of date. I have pressurized CO2 now running at something like 7 bps. No drop checker yet that's why I'm inquiring about the iron levels of seachem flourish.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
The iron levels are not your problem. I dose iron at a much higher level with no issues. Too much light and not enough co2 are what cause algae 9 times out of 10.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latnem View Post
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I really need to update my journal that's why I wrote it is out of date. I have pressurized CO2 now running at something like 7 bps. No drop checker yet that's why I'm inquiring about the iron levels of seachem flourish.
Seachem recommends what, 0.10ppm of Fe? I am dosing 10x that amount with no problems.

I used to try am blame algae on everything other then co2... Once you realize that it IS co2, your life will get that much easier and you will know what to concentrate more of your time on.

No drop checker? Very slowly, increase the amount that you are injecting. Tomorrow do the same thing and so on. Look for signs from your fish to make sure you are not gassing them. Once you see signs from them, turn it down a notch. As your tank grows and the demand increase, you will have to adjust. Just keep watching your fish and plants. They will let you know.

Clint

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have been meaning to use that method to dial in my CO2. What would be some signs that the fish and shrimp are having trouble with with too much CO2? Would they all just start gasping and swimming normally or will they head to the top for air?

Thanks again

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You will see them gasping, staying near the surface and swimming erratically.

Clint

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode