added gh booster and got plant melt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
added gh booster and got plant melt

My blyxa japonia started to melt pretty badly a day after I added 1/2 tap Gh booster to my tank also today I also notice some melting on my rotala too. I did a water change but today it still seems like It's in bad shape. My ludwiga pantanal looks fine which is weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I find Pantanal to be a pretty resilient plant. I tried Blyxa when I was in my planted tank infancy and did not have the proper set up for it to thrive. It died pretty quickly and I lost interest in the plant. I have heard it can be a finicky plant and if memory serves it does like softer water???

The GH booster could have raised the hardness but unless you put that .5tsp (i ASSUME THATS WHAT YOU MEANT?) in a 1 gallon tank it shouldn't have altered the params so much it would kill your plants.

I think it may have been on the decline prior to your dosing.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's interesting because. The only other addition I made to the tank was carbon in my filter. Before this my blyxa was booming and I had to take a lot out because it was covering the tank. It's just weird because everything was great but now they seem to be melting pretty fast. I doses really hertz every other day using ei and both drop checkers are nice and yellow so I have no idea what's wrong. I don't think I can turn my co2 on my online atomizer because the bubbles are starting to come out larger when i do. I also have no fish in my tank.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The carbon could be sucking something out of the water, perhaps it removed some tannins or other water softening agent and that combined with the addition of the booster was too much of a swing for the Blyxa to bear. Its a long shot but I have seen stranger.

Im kind of thinking co2. Do you have an ebay diffuser in the tank and is it dirty? If it is dirty you need to clean it off because having large bubbles of co2 in the tank are about as useless as those co2 kits that use alka seltzer to create co2.

How are you measuring co2 in the tank other then bubble count?

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I check the ph too but besides that I don't have anything else to check it.. It is the eBay atomizer knock off but it's only about 4-5 months old. It doesn't seem dirty but who knows. How do you clean them soak them in bleach?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ph tells you nothing of value. Just turn up the gas slowly over the corse of a day or so and watch for stress in your animals then turn it back a notch.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And yes an over night soak in bleach will work wonders.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:04 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Overnight? Heck, a 30 minute soak does wonders, lol
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I added a tablespoon of baking soda along with a 1/4 tsp of epsom salts and plater of paris to my 10 gallon hospital tank to get the pH up a bit and I had java ferns and water wisteria melt.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

since i don't have fish in the tank. I can't use them to judge anything about the level of co2 in the water. I had some snails but the gas killed them off. I didn't want them so this was my way of getting rid of them by cranking up the co2.

How often are you supposed to clean the inline atomizers?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Carbon should no be used in planted tanks unless it's to clear medication etc. it can remove many nutrients.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Found this on Blyxa at APCentral: This Blyxa species is not too difficult to grow if its basic requirements are met: intense lighting in the 2-4 watts per gallon range, CO2 injection, and a fertilization regimen including nitrate, phosphate, potassium, and micronutrient supplementation. If conditions are to its liking and lighting is intense, the leaves of B. japonica will develop golden and reddish hues and the plants will exhibit more compact growth. If it does not receive enough lighting, however, B. japonica will become taller, lankier, and greener. This plant produces an impressive root system and appreciates a nutritious substrate. If phosphate levels are kept high (1-2 ppm), this species will continuously produce small white flowers on long, thin stalks.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It seems hard to believe that my carbon was able to remove that much nutrients to cause melting but i guess it could be true. I did remove the carbon and added some more macro's and micro's. I only added the carbon to help get rid of some organic debris build up that was too hard to get with my siphon.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I only use seachem Purigen in my tanks. On their site it says it will not remove any of the nutrients that we put in there for the plants.

Ime snails have a low thresh hold for co2 levels. It seems they will be put to sleep by even moderate levels of gas. Since you don't have any animals in there just double your bubble rate (and clean your diffuser) and watch. I have never seen a single tank that had TOO MUCH co2 injected in it for the plants.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's why I cranked it up In the first place. I'm at like 4 bps and I think above that is too much for the diffusor. Or it's dirty

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode