cheapest fertilizer for 125 gallons - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
cheapest fertilizer for 125 gallons

What's the cheapest liquid fertilizer for a very heavily planted 125 soon to include a full Christmas moss wall and a floor covered in micro sword? i currently use exceyl and until I have done enough studying on dry ferts I want a cheap liquid fertilizer that can hold its own. I currently use seachem excel, very expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Excel isn't a "fertilizer". It is a carbon supplement. It doesn't replace nitrogen, potassium, etc.

RootMedic is the "cheapest" liquid fertilizer option you can do. I might be biased(I own rootmedic...) but there isn't any question there. The CHEAPEST option for you is a "dry" fertilizer using a system like EI or PPS pro(now I don't make any money if you buy dry...). You can get them from greenleafaquariums, aquariumfertlizer.com, or laaquaria.com. I've had good luck with all of those stores.

If you really want liquid, you should know on a larger tank you will go through a bit more, than the 6 dollars per bottle you are use to right now with excel. I wouldn't use excel on a tank that big... After a year you will have fully paid for a pressurized co2 tank. Also, moss and excel often do not mix well.

But lets get back to THIS tank. What are your light plans for this tank? For liquid ferts, the options are: RootMedic micro/macro, pfertz NPK+M, ADA, or Seachem, which you would need N, P, K, and Then comprehensive.

If you want cheap, look into a dry dosing system. None of the liquid ferts worth a darn are super cheap.

And for rootmedic, use the coupon code "plantedtank" to get 10% off at www.rootmedic.net
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 AM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Go with EI cheap but dry/wet(don't waste money to buy water and ship them across)...no need to do further study
There is a member selling here in SnS 'Xjaypex'
and use Metricide 28 days for Excel..$20 a gal(425 ml to 575ml of water for 2.6 % concentrated)...do ebay search.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I already have a pressurized co2 running off a 20 lb Pepsi co2 tank I may try your line, the seachem i have is the big gallon bottles for like $40 but I got it for a steal at $20 doubt that will ever happen again. Any recommendations on a specific liquid fert I should try out from your website?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If liquid is what you want, I would do micro and macro. Because your tank is so big, the 500 ml set is the minimum. THe best "deal" is the Ultimate Fertilizer Package, which includes 2.5 Liters of each plus 25 RootCaps. Shipping to iowa would take maybe 2 days. I am located near Sioux Falls, SD.

There are definitely some conveniences to dosing liquid and to just say there is no reason to look into it further is silly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well you'd be shy about liquid ferts too if they worked as bad has excel has with how much it cost haha, keep in mind I'm pretty low income so if i can find a great working cheap liquid fert ill keep on it! Ps that comment about the moss would explain why my java moss won't grow!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The other issue about excel is that it isn't a fertilizer.... It is actually a liquid sterlizing agent used for surgical equipment. It is NOT a replacement for NPK/Micros.

Like I said, the CHEAPEST way to dose is a dry fertilizer. You could dose your tank for a year for about 1/5 the price of even RootMedic. It is a little "harder" but is very easy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well just because I appreciate your help I will buy your fertilizer until I read up more on dry ferts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode