cheapest fertilizer for large aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
cheapest fertilizer for large aquarium

I have a 125 gallon aquarium and have been looking for a cheap fertilizer. It is heavily planted with a professional co2 setup. I need a fertilizer that doesn't have copper because I have 21 nerite snails and can't afford to lose them. i am currently using seachem excel and its quite expensive. I would prefer to use a liquid fertilizer because I can easily inject it into my roots in the sand with a syringe. Also interested in dry ferts, whichever is cheaper and wont hurt my fish and snails. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
For substrate fertilizer, buy root tabs or make your own with gelatin capsules and osmocote plus.

Price-wise, dry fertilizers are a fraction of the cost of liquid ferts, but slightly more work. Check the Sponsors section here, and/or do a search for "fertilizer" in the Swap N Shop.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My vote goes for dry ferts! Price-per-dose for dry ferts is a fraction of the cost for the liquid ferts. Requires a bit of calculation though...If you really prefer liquid application to the roots, you can get dry ferts, measure & mix your own solution, and store many ready-to-use liquid doses in a bottle.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
And don't worry about copper. The tiny bit that is in trace element fertilizers is a necessary trace element - for fish, snails, inverts, and plants. Diluting it with 125 gallons of water makes it way too little to be toxic. Especially with regular water changes.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode