Should I use "PFertz" or dry ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Should I use "PFertz" or dry ferts?

I like the idea of simply dosing with pfertz but if I can save money with dry ferts I would rather do that, just wondering which one to use and if dry what is the easiest way to get a hold of important ferts in california? any help appreciated, also for a high light tank if that helps any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
dry ferts will definitely be cheaper! especially with a high tech tank.

i would get them from GLA you can get a package that has everything you need and its only about $20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

and how long would it last dosing 20g a day would you think? I'm going to check it out as its about the same price for two years of pfertz or it might be 6 months for my setup not sure.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

dry should definitely last alot alot longer than pferts. but i havent had a high tech setup to even estimate. for my lowtech 10g i dose
on sunday, tues and thurs
1/8 of a teaspoon of (kno3) and 1/32 of a teaspoon of kh2po4 (phophate)

on monday wed and fri
1/32 of a teaspoon trace (usually csm+b)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not so tuned into chemistry so the scientific labels are random looking to me however I'll look around for the dry as I'd love to save some cash to use for a better co2 setup, are there any dry ferts available at hd lowes osh or any nursery?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

me either, i just copied that info from what i was instructed to dose.. for 10G. KNO3 is nitrogen,kh2po4 is some kind of pottasium i think, and csm+b is micros.

i dont know of anywhere that isnt a LFS to get them locally...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
I'm not so tuned into chemistry so the scientific labels are random looking to me however I'll look around for the dry as I'd love to save some cash to use for a better co2 setup, are there any dry ferts available at hd lowes osh or any nursery?
most stores do not cary what we need, but if your lucky some hydroponic stores cary some of the ferts we need, but are usually sold in 50lb bags. 50lbs of ferts will last you over a decade. its much cheaper, and easyier to buy online.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
and how long would it last dosing 20g a day would you think? I'm going to check it out as its about the same price for two years of pfertz or it might be 6 months for my setup not sure.
If you bought the NPK, CSM+B combo from GLA, it would last you well over a year on a 20g tank. Going the pfertz route might not be to bad for that tank either. Dry, of course, will save money in the long run...

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ah Clint what were you dozing for the blyxa they're starting to yellow as my co2 is down to about a bubble a minute hopefully fixed it I really appreciate the plants, was more like a roak

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode