PPS vs EI - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PPS vs EI

I知 about to start a proper fertilising regime. I have been leaning towards using PSS pro rather than EI because, basically, it's a ball ache doing 50% w/c every week and I知 hoping that as it痴 pretty straight forward, I値l be able to persuade the missus to do it when I知 not around.

The recipe I知 planning on using it can be found

here-http://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro.

It seems most people on this forum use EI; is this because it痴 a 澱etter regime?

Can I expect to see good results using PPS in a 55 gal mid/high light tank with co2 in comparison to EI?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter1 View Post
So you've decided on PPS and now want us to attempt to talk you out of it?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
This is a pretty common discussion and something that you may want to read up on first and ask more direct questions.

Here is another sample thread that was recently kicking around. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...ei-dosing.html

It really is a subjective question and not something that you can just say "yes, your growth will be fine" and "no, you won't need any water changes".

Like I said, you may want to do a bit more leg work on the topic and see if there is something that you are not understanding that maybe we can help you with.

Saying that most people use "EI" is also an overstatement.

There is no right or wrong answer if the plants are growing well, the aquarium is healthy and you are enjoying it. What works for some, does not always work for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

I think most of us just use it because it's easier.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger View Post
So you've decided on PPS and now want us to attempt to talk you out of it?
haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
I think most of us just use it because it's easier.
I'm not sure it is or is not easier, since they both add the same things.

One suggest a higher ppm rates of dosing than the other, and the more water changes, the other is potentially limiting. If your tank has low demand, then leaner EI is fine/pmdd+PO4, if the tank uses more, then EI will suit better or you can add more PMDD+PO4.

If you add more PMDD+PO4 and do more water changes, then it's now EI.

If you watch the plants and slowly and progressively taper off till you hit a negative response fo the plants, then bump back up, then water changes can be reduced. For PMDD+PO4, the direction will be to increase increase and increase till no further response is noted, but........limited plants can take a longer time to recover, if you start at the non limiting reference, you know what a healthy non limited plant already looks like.

If not doing water change sis really the only selling point a method has, then non CO2 tanks got either one of these beat like a dead horse. No water changes for months/years even. there are trade offs for NOT doing water changes, for smaller tanks they are very quick and easy.
For larger tanks a hose or a python water changer takes a few min.

Water changes are use to reduce errors. These are arbitrary and we assume an acceptable range of error.

Sediment ferts like ADA aqua soil, combined with low lighting will reduce dependency on the water column ferts. These two things should be considered at the forfront before EVEN discussing a fertilization of the water column routine.

Then dosing the water column is much easier an you have a back up and the long term ability to keep the tank going with less input is much easier.
I'd work on those two issues, and then the fert thing will be much easier.

This is independent of either method, rather, views things holistically with light, CO2 and multiple sources of ferts.

All methods essentially add the same things.
I think EI is the only one that active dissuades hobbyist from using test kits and suggests non limiting ferts. I've never seen any others that suggest those two things.

Water changes are par for the course. Not a good hobby if you plan to neglect and avoid those. Go non CO2 if that is the case.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode