nitrates. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nitrates.

What is an acceptable level of nitrates in a heavily planted tank? I want to keep a clean tank for the fish, but I don't want to take nitrates away from the plants either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Depending on what your dosing. EI or PPS?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The only thing that I'm dosing with is Flourish at this moment.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well in order for a tank to be heavily planted and for all the plants to stay healthy and strong, you'll need more than flourish.
For me, I dose PPS-Pro and stay at about 10-15ppm

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So 10-15 is a safe level for the fish?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have double dosed macros on a few occasions, forgetting that I have already dosed. I would guess that I was in the 70ppm range. No problems what so ever.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You might want to look into the Seachem line of Nitrogen if you are concerned. I dose 2 capfuls weekly on top of dosing 2 capfuls of Flourish weekly. If you haven't gone the dry fertz route yet.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriF View Post
So 10-15 is a safe level for the fish?
I dose 45ppm a week as KNO3 and feed like mad and have a high stocking level.

Fish have breed a dozen times, the tank is clean and very healthy.

less is NOT better obviously when it comes to ferts, there's is no factual basis for this. It's plainly put, steer manure. A myth.

NO3 from excessive fish waste and lack of care for the aquarium, this is more of NH4 issue, not NO3.

Since KNO3 never starts as NH4.......they are NOT the same.
Unlike PMDD(which is really what PPS in fact is), EI makes no assumption that less is better.

And unlike many who claim this, I actually test the upper bounds, and folks do make mistakes often times, and report no ill effects at ranges in the 100-200ppm NO3 ranges.

How can anyone who does not test their own claims.......... be trusted and able to support their contentions I might ask????? I have mad breeding, I have breeding of fire red shrimp, fat healthy cards, sell lots of nice plants......tank is clean.

Not just a dozen little fish..........

So in ANSWER to your question, we do not really know the upper bounds.......they are however well about typical dosing errors hobbyists might ever do.
Even if I messed up 5x, I'm still along way off from doing any harm.

A better question is how better to manage CO2, since overdosing CO2, not providing enough current etc, causes 99% of the fish related deaths due to additions in a planted tank, ferts are almost unheard of entirely as far as deaths or stress to livestock.

Focus there.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wow. I'm dosing PPS-Pro but was at a range of about 40ppm and people said it was way too high so I lowered my dosing since I had amanos dying off on me.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

I dose 45ppm KNO3 weekly/30-40%WC/-no problems with RCS,bee shrimps and fish in my 10g.If I lower to 30-35ppm-plants start yelowing/damn leds-too bright with optics/
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

I just checked mine and its about 80ppm. Im dosing 3/4 tsp 3x a week in my 75gal. Guess I should be dosing less.. my red plant are not red due to too much nitrate??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode