Bacterial cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Bacterial cycle

so im unhappy with my tubing and wiring setup and want to change it when i get my new lily pipes. however i have a canister and im curious as to how long my cycle will live without constant moving water full of poop and decaying matter. My cycle is like a roman empire, its grown and changed over the course of my tank, i even took media out of my old HOB when i changed to a sunsun. i have a very good relationship with my bacteria and its taken great care of my tank. I OBVIOUSLY dont want my roman empire thats grown and changed with my tanks needs to die. a general timeframe would be helpful or maybe i need to break out my old HOB and stuff media in there?? i'd rather not go that course if it c an live for 30 min, which should be all the time i need

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have read that you have 5 minutes to get the water flowing again before the bacteria starts to die. I would bust out the old HOB just in case; I wouldn't want to tank any chances.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
I have read that you have 5 minutes to get the water flowing again before the bacteria starts to die. I would bust out the old HOB just in case; I wouldn't want to tank any chances.
I don't know where you read that but that seems unlikely. How long does it take you to take a canister apart and scrub down the tubes whenever you do a canister clean? I remove my bacteria media set it aside and sometimes take like an hour to clean all the tubing. Then I set it back up and have never had any problems. I'm leaning more towards a couple hours if they stay wet. You could always hook the canister up to a bucket if your especially worried.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've left my ceramic things out of water for two hours when I changed my substrate. I didn't notice anything wrong. Nothing died so that's a good sign.

My ADA Mini-M
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
I don't know where you read that but that seems unlikely. How long does it take you to take a canister apart and scrub down the tubes whenever you do a canister clean? I remove my bacteria media set it aside and sometimes take like an hour to clean all the tubing. Then I set it back up and have never had any problems. I'm leaning more towards a couple hours if they stay wet. You could always hook the canister up to a bucket if your especially worried.
Yeah I've done the same but I fell asleep for an hour when I had to put my nephew down for a nap and I had switched everything off haha
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well that's great to know!! I don't expect it to take more than 30 minutes. Careful plannning and having everything laid out and ready makes everything go faster in this hobby. I'm going to wrap my tubes with nylon braids so they fit the black motiff of my furniture. I guess ill set my media in a bucket of tank water with a bubble stone and a small water pump to keep everything going just in case. Thanks for the input fellow hobbyists!

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
It starts to die after 5 minutes not that it fully dies after that time.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The only types of filter that I've heard of that really has problems with the bacteria dying off are biowheels (because they get stuck fairly regularly and part of the wheel dries out for a long time) and fluidized bed filters (because supposedly the setup goes anoxic and dies quickly when the pump goes off, which sounds kinda fishy to me, but there ya go.)

I know it's anecdotal, but I built a canister filter and had some ceramic filter media in it. I got it cycled then it started leaking (a homemade canister leaking? NEVER!) and I took the lid off and drained most of the water. The wet media and water went in some tupperware on the counter. When I tried restarting it several days later, I wanted to get it cycled quickly so I started it in a bucket with ammonia. The bacteria hadn't died off in that time and it was able to clear the bucket in a day (could have been much less but I didn't bother checking before then.) It had never dried out and the container was open to the air the entire time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (34/100%)
What i usually do is not clean the tank and filter all the same time. I clean the tank and lily pipe tubing first and the next day or two i clean the filter. And yes bacteria will leave for 30 min in the filter after that lack of o2 will kill them so u have to open your filter and change the water with tank water. If not u will have ammonia spike for several hours till bacteria start converting them again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode