Hagen Nitrate regent #3 Chunks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hagen Nitrate regent #3 Chunks?

Hey all, I have a quick question.

I just bought a Hagen Nitrate test kit, which is all they have at my lfs, and it says to shake #3 bottle vigorously for a little bit. Well I shook the living daylights out of it and it still seems to have little chunks in it, and the drops are hard to get out now because it gets clogged with those chunks.

The expiration date says itís good till the end of this year.
Also it seems to read wrong, I started to dose my nitrates and it still reads zero, and I'm dosing for 10ppm...

Any help would be awesome, thatís all you out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

well, i have that same kit, and my reagent 3 was never chunky...that reagent may have gone sour.
secondly, I found that test kit to be terribly inaccurate. I'd suggest the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand Nitrate test kit for a 'cheap' kit that's more reliable. The next step up would be Salifert, SeaChem or LaMotte - much more expensive kits, but a higher accuracy too.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Funny that I found just the opposite. My AP kit always show Nitrate concentration twice high while the Hagen one show good result at least under or around 10ppm range. However, I think it is a little easier to compare the color for AP kit, at least to my eyes.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, I'll have to see if there is a warrenty on my test kit. See if I can get my money back!

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hagens NO3 kit sounds just like the Red Sea. 3 regents, the last one needs to be shaken very hard. The first one I had worked well, then those little grey deposits showed up one day and it stopped working. No shaking in the world would dissolve them.

I tried 2 more "new" kits but they had the same grey deposits and it didn't work.

Make sure the new one you get doesn't have the deposits or it's bound not to work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Algae Grower

Those chunks dont happen to be the small "rattle" things they put in there to aid in Mixing are they. They act the same as a ball bearing does in a spray paint can. Only reagent #3 has these in the bottle. Thought i better check.

25gal in progress, just deciding on lighting and then its full steam ahead!!!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is what I found on the Hagen Web Site.
I shook #3 for seriously over an hour, my wife thought I was crazy. But Still chunks, still dust... I think its a dud.

Qoute:
"When Nitrate #3 Reagent is exposed to heat, time and other environmental stresses it can become very hard to mix it properly. If the test kit has not been used for an extended period of time, or it has been stored at an elevated temperature for some time it may not mix easily.

If after the initial shaking some dust can still be seen through the bottle bottom or glass side wall. Be sure to check both areas for sedimentation. If there are particles or plating on the sides or bottom, you will need to perform a small operation.

Remove the dispensing top from the Reagent #3 bottle. Then take the pipette that comes with the test kit, and mix the contents manually. Ensure that all dust, particles and sediments are dissolved in the solution. Close the bottle. Clean the pipette thoroughly so there is no sediment or residue left.

After this manipulation, regular shaking should be enough to mix all the dust and any sedimentation back into the liquid."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Eeeewww... isn't that the reagent that contains cadmium? I'd stay away from that as far as possible, much less screwing off the top and start to shake it around with a pipette. I always thought the pieces in there are cadmium and don't need to be completely dissolved.
But like Rolo's my Red Sea kit stopped working after a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

Exclamation

I have the same Hagen kit and it also has a "rattle" inside. It didn't when I first got it so I think it is due to settling of the contents. I thought that the kit was wasted, so I didn't trust the results. I then bought a Seachem nitrate kit and used it. The color comparisson strip that you're supposed to use is nearly impossible to discern the differences with any real accuracy. I then decided to try the Hagen kit again and double-check the reading I thought I was getting with the Seachem kit. The Hagen kit seemed to verify the nitrate levels that the Seachem kit was generally indicating. So, it seems that maybe the Hagen kit wasn't wasted after all and maybe complete dissolution of the "rattle" was not necessary for the test to work.

Red Razor

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Razor
I have the same Hagen kit and it also has a "rattle" inside. and maybe complete dissolution of the "rattle" was not necessary for the test to work.
Hmm i dont think u will ever dissolve the rattle if your hagen tests are the same as ours here in Aus. My rattles are 2 small glass beads inside the bottle. They are simply there to aid mixing, so dont try and dissolve them, unless u are really really really (x100,000) bored.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Eeeewww... isn't that the reagent that contains cadmium?
Most likely! The gray chunks in the bottom of Red Sea's clear reagent bottle (Reagent A?) is also cadmium. Cadmium is also used in the LaMotte nitrate test.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Most likely! The gray chunks in the bottom of Red Sea's clear reagent bottle (Reagent A?) is also cadmium. Cadmium is also used in the LaMotte nitrate test.
Opps, got it mixed up. Yes it is Regeant A. Not the third one, Reagent C.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So just to be clear about this, the grey chunks on the bottom of the bottle don't need to be dissolved?
What I think I will try also is a test with my NO3, make a solution of a higher concentration, and test that one.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK I just made a solution of really high Nitrate's, and it seems to read that they are there.
But now after all that shaking, I can barely squeeze out a drop.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
grey chunks on the bottom of the bottle don't need to be dissolved?
Well not if they are rounded looking glass beads, which mine are. Yours might be different. And how do u know they are grey thru a brown bottle?

Quote:
But now after all that shaking, I can barely squeeze out a drop
Yours must be different to mine. Mine is a brown glass bottle which u dont squeeze. All i do is invert the bottle and the drops come out very slowly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode