Gh 7 do i need GH booster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Gh 7 do i need GH booster

So my GH is 7 degrees of hardness and i was wondering if I need to does GH booster to make sure i have sufficient magnesium and calcium in my water. What do you guys think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Having just looked at a water report for a Texas town, with lots of sodium bicarbonate in it, I think you need to look at the water quality report for oddities. Having such good water as we have where I am makes me assume everyone is so lucky.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

any ideas where i can find that information?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
any ideas where i can find that information?
2 google clicks:
https://www.auroragov.org/AuroraGov/...ater/index.htm

https://www.auroragov.org/stellent/g...ion/035747.pdf

They do list Hardness, this is GH.
They do not list alkalinity(KH), but I can assure you, they measure that DAILY. If you call and ask and are nice, I'm sure they will tell you or find the right person who can tell you.

Water looks fairly decent to me.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

wow thanks a lot Tom. I didn't see anything about magnesium levels. Should i call and ask about that?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Trying to understand the same thing - EI dosing mentions GB booster and I'm trying understand if I need that or not. To my water parameters still seem a little screwy. I found the Denver water report but I'm still trying to interpret it.

I think Sean will attest to the fact that I have almost no knowledge of chemistry and I find this kind of stuff daunting to say the least. But wow I am learning a lot and over the last few months my tank is finally starting to look pretty good!! So many things to learn, but I am enjoying it all.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Plant Clown

GH Booster, if I remember correctly, has calcium, magnesium, manganese, and K2SO4 in it. And since many (Tom comes to mind - though please correct me if I'm mistaken) will attest that a GH degree of "liquid rock" doesn't seem to hinder plants in all but a very small number of cases, why not just dose it and make sure all your bases are covered?

*I make this as a tentative suggestion, since I don't have a high GH and have been adding GH Booster in varying amounts since I first started EI dosing. So I have no experience with depending on tap water for GH-affecting nutrients. I'll welcome any commentary as an education
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I may try it, but since my tank is slowly doing better and better I'm apprehensive to make any sudden moves!

My kh is steady at about 5.5 every time I test it. My gh is around 18.

I'm wondering, what is the rationale for the gh booster? Is it to provide nutrients to the plants that are contained in the gh booster, or is raising the gh the goal?

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gh is made up of magnesium and calcium. The reason for dosing is because we don't probably get a 1:1 ratio of magnesium to calcium. If could be 100% magnesium or 100% calcium so the point of gH booster is to make sure there is enough magnesium and calcium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode