Magnesium deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)
Magnesium deficiency?

Do plants require magnesium as a nutrient? I do not use it as a gh booster because we have hard water already. But I saw a diagram of plant deficiencies and symptoms, and one of them said magnesium deficiency...

-Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Yep, plants use magnesium as a trace element.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimmer92 View Post
Do plants require magnesium as a nutrient? I do not use it as a gh booster because we have hard water already. But I saw a diagram of plant deficiencies and symptoms, and one of them said magnesium deficiency...
GH is the total Ca and Mg, it does not say if it's all Ca++ or Mg++..........

It's rare it would be 100% Mg.........but it's not rare that there's very little Mg in tap water. Mg is the central atom that makes Chlorophyll green.

So dosing it extra is generally required and not harmful if it's not needed.

Regards,
Tom Barr

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
...Mg is the central atom that makes Chlorophyll green...
So it's not just my imagination. My tank really does look greener since I've been dosing MgSO4.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
You and me both. I just assumed that it was the Fe but I did start dosing extra Fe the same time I started dosing MgSO4.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Ca and Mg are technically secondary macro nutrients, so yes it is important to make sure you have an appropriate amount of both. Ca:Mg ratio is generally thought to be ideal around 4:1.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
Ca and Mg are technically secondary macro nutrients, so yes it is important to make sure you have an appropriate amount of both. Ca:Mg ratio is generally thought to be ideal around 4:1.
And there are others who maintain just the opposite ratio is ideal. Personally I have no idea which is better or the desire to experiment with dosing to find out. I just go with EI and it works for me.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This is no factual basis for ratio being of any importance regarding these two elements in aquatic plant plant uptake, nor in terrestrial systems, their ABSOLUTE amounts are important, not the ratio itself. Same with K+ and some of the wonky talk.

This is what Liebig's Law is about and states. There's nothing to do with ratios regarding that law. Folks might waste a bit more of one nutrients etc, and for a farmer fertilizing 4000 acres, this can = a fair amount of $, but not a hobbyists.

http://www.microsoil.com/liebigs_law_of_the_minimum.htm

I can have 100ppm of Ca and 5 ppm of Mg without any issues, likewise, I can have a Ca of 5ppm and a Mg of 10ppm, again, without any issues.

This is a 40X ratio difference without any impact.
K+, N, P, etc........all behave this way.

You might find some things in terrestrial systems due to concentration being far far more than any aquarist might ever see, where a ratio is so far out of whack, that things causes problems.
But these will be very very far out there.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
And there are others who maintain just the opposite ratio is ideal. Personally I have no idea which is better or the desire to experiment with dosing to find out. I just go with EI and it works for me.
It certainly depends on the plant itself. Those that argue the opposite are probably referring to flowering plants.

If aquarium plants needed lots of Mg and little Ca, it would be a hell of a lot more difficult to grow them in tap water.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
In terrestrial plants... and even then there's debate as to if there's a proper ratio or if it's a range of ratios. One study I read recently claimed the latter. It's all dependent upon so many variables that finding the perfect ratio for YOUR application is often not worth the added hassle for the marginal gain.

Again, this is for terrestrial plants with more of an agricultural focus. Not aquarium ecology.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannothan View Post
In terrestrial plants... and even then there's debate as to if there's a proper ratio or if it's a range of ratios. One study I read recently claimed the latter. It's all dependent upon so many variables that finding the perfect ratio for YOUR application is often not worth the added hassle for the marginal gain.

Again, this is for terrestrial plants with more of an agricultural focus. Not aquarium ecology.
Perhaps you should take a look at the data in this post https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-unlikely.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode