Dry Fertilizer Dosing Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Dry Fertilizer Dosing Question

Hello friends,

My fertilizer package arrived from Greenleaf Aquariums as per your recommendation from this website. I order the $19.95 combo pack with the macro and micro ferts. My question is, do I dose the macros together at the same time on one day and the micro on the alternate day?

My tank is a 95 gallon (planted/discus with co2) and for the most part I printed out a dose chart that said:

KNO3 - 1 TSP
K2SO4 - 1/2 TSP
KH2PO4 - 1/2 TSP
CSM+B - 1/2 TSP

I do not want to add too much at one time since discus are very sensitive. I don't think I need to worry, but I just want to be as careful as possible.

Thanks for all your help!

95 Gallon Discus/Planted Tank
30 Gallon Planted Tank
50 Gallon Reef

Thank you!

DiscusLoverJeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
leave out the K2SO4

divide the KNO3 and KH2PO4 by three and dose this on alternate days.

do the same with the CSM+B or divide it by two and have a rest day and a waterchange day.

you will also need some gh booster, like barr's or equilibrium..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearsbunnyslippers View Post
leave out the K2SO4

divide the KNO3 and KH2PO4 by three and dose this on alternate days.

do the same with the CSM+B or divide it by two and have a rest day and a waterchange day.

you will also need some gh booster, like barr's or equilibrium..
WHY leave out K2S04?

GH booster or equilibrium would be counterproductive in a discus tank, would it not? Since you dose the csmb on alternate days, I'd skip the others on micro days.

Not knowing how heavily planted your tank is, what your water change schedule is, etc, I'd consider starting out lower than the normal EI and working up if needed.

Are the discus adults or young juvies? This makes a huge difference. If younger, dosing light is prob a good idea. If adults and well acclimated, they will be able to handle more.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My water changes are 70% weekly. Medium planted, and the discus are just over a year old (10 in tank). I have them and this tank up and running for a year now. I added co2 about 5 months ago and I use to use Seachem Flourish and Excel.

I also use 80/20 RO/Tap.

Thanks for the responses.

30 Gallon Planted Tank
50 Gallon Reef

Thank you!

DiscusLoverJeff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I'd bet excel is harder on them than any other ferts. If you have good co2, no need for regular excel dosing. Most people don't realize just how nasty of a chemical excel is.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you Overstock, that is why I stopped using it and was told to use dry ferts instead. I have read some good threads on this topic.

30 Gallon Planted Tank
50 Gallon Reef

Thank you!

DiscusLoverJeff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Always start by considering how much light you have, then consider how heavily planted the tank is, and only then decide on how much to dose. Low light tanks need very little fertilizing, and very high light tanks need a lot. A few plants need little dosing, but a jungle of plants need a lot. The EI dosages are for a high light well planted tank. They aren't likely to do any harm for low light or low plant density tanks, but they don't need to be that high.

Hoppy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My tank is 24 inches deep and I have a compact flourescent fixture (4 - 65 watt). I am running SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700K/10000K. So this is estimated as a low-tech tank.

I see your point on dosing based on densisty Hoppy, thank you.

30 Gallon Planted Tank
50 Gallon Reef

Thank you!

DiscusLoverJeff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
Thank you Overstock, that is why I stopped using it and was told to use dry ferts instead. I have read some good threads on this topic.
I'd do the following for the tank assuming you have 120 W of T5 or more lighting, and fully planted:

3x a week
3/4 teaspoon KNO3
1/2 teaspoon KH2PO4
Traces, I'd likely make a stock solution, but dry is fine, maybe 1/4 tsp

Water change day: 1 Tablespoon of GH booster

So dose water change day everything, then the traces and N and P 2x more through the week.

The big issue with discus is CO2 CO2 and CO2 and O2 and O2 and O2.

Ferts have no effect I've ever been able to tell, and........unlike many offering advice about ferts and the discus, I've bred them under typical EI dosing while feeding the snot out of them(which is why they bred).

CO2(too much) and not enough O2(folks think discus hate current, and at the expense of good O2). Respiration is both O2 and CO2. VERY few aquarist measure O2, even though it's the more critical thing for the fish, particularly larger fish. Use the rule of thumb Hoppy suggested: just enough surface movement to not quite break the water's surface with turbulent flow.

This will provide a lot more wiggle room with CO2 dosing.

It might be easier for you do to do 40-50% 2x a week than one 70%, then you could likely just dose after each water change and not have to mess with dosing further.

Many breeders do this routine.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusLoverJeff View Post
My tank is 24 inches deep and I have a compact flourescent fixture (4 - 65 watt). I am running SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700K/10000K. So this is estimated as a low-tech tank.

I see your point on dosing based on density Hoppy, thank you.
Most compact fluorescent fixtures seem to be Coralife ones, which have poor reflectors. You probably have only 2 of those bulbs over any part of the tank, and the front to back depth of the tank is probably around 24 inches too, right? If so, you do have low light, low enough that you probably don't need to be dosing fertilizers other than perhaps weekly or every 2 weeks. Tom's suggestion about dosing with water changes seems like a good idea, and with maybe half the normal EI dosage. I suspect if you didn't have CO2 the plants wouldn't grow much at all.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode