Too much magnesium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Too much magnesium?

Arrg! I recently started dosing the dry fertz from Green Leaf/ Plantex... the NPK and the CSM+B. According the the info for PPS Pro on GLA's site, the mixure for the macros NPK has magnesium sulfate in the recipe posted, which magnesium doesn't come with the NPK so I added Epsom salt to my bottle of macro's/NPK. Well now I found out that magnesium is in the CSM+B so am I adding way too much magnesium in my aquarium? Also, since I live in Central Texas, with high mineral content, there's probably magnesium in my tap water. Here's the confusing instructions from GLA...

http://sites.google.com/site/aquatic...r/home/pps-pro
Quote:
PPS-Pro system is very easy to use and is the least expensive system in comparison to any other fertilizer. It is designed especially for aquascapers who want a system that is performing well, doesnít need testing and tweaking and also works with all lights and substrates, no water changes and large water changes. Entirely 100% planted aquariums with reasonable fish load.

Chemicals: Can be
ordered
from any supplier of choice.
Digital scale: Can be
ordered
from eBay, Office Depot, Staples, etc. very inexpensive, just a basic one in grams.
Bottles: Find some used two same size bottles, plastic or glass. Soft drink, Coke, shampoo etc.
Formula: We use
PPS-Pro Solutions Recipe Calculator to find chemicals going into each bottle. Download here

Example of 1 litre bottles.

Pour into bottle #1, 59 grams of K2SO4, 65 grams of KNO3, 6 grams of KH2PO4 and 41 grams of MgSO4.
Pour into bottle #2, 80 grams of dry Trace Element mix.
Fill up both bottles with soft water to the 1 litre size and shake. Wait over night until dissolved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's the reason I didn't know that csm+b had magnesium in it...

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ntex-csmb.html

As you can see the description just says it has all the micro nutrients you need in it.... instead of actually giving you the ingredient list.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just tested my GH, it's up to 179 from 161.1 last week. I'm assuming the addition of magnesium is raising the GH, is that correct?

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Just tested my GH, it's up to 179 from 161.1 last week. I'm assuming the addition of magnesium is raising the GH, is that correct?
Yes magnesium/calcium will raise your GH and CaCO3 will raise kH/GH but mainly Kh
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Should I stop dosing the Macro/NPK& magnesium solution and just dose the CSM+B solution?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are many of us out there that dose magnesium in addition to CSM+B, as we feel the magnesium content of that product may be a bit low.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Like Sharkfood said, CSM+B is only 1.5% magnesium; it's the MgSO4 that will really raise your GH a lot
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Is there a specific issue you are claiming to much Mg is causing in you tank or are you just over reacting because you found that your dosing two sources of it? I ask because there has been no evidence that shows too much of any fert will cause issues in our tanks. Maybe B but that is very inconclusive at best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
My Tap had 52ppm of Mg, never had any issues with R wllichii, L pantanal, S belem, and a dozen others, Erios etc.

I later cut the tap with 1/2 RO, but this was more for the high KH.

CMS+B and the PMDD solution had a sizable amount of MgSO4 added to the original instructions.

I think it was about 1 table spoon per 500mls.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tom do you think it's necessary to dose mg when using CSM+B? I have heard it was a good idea but just over the past few days have been reading the contrary.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Should I not be concerned that my GH started out high and is only getting higher since dosing the two fertilizer solutions?
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
My Tap had 52ppm of Mg, never had any issues with R wllichii, L pantanal, S belem, and a dozen others, Erios etc.

I later cut the tap with 1/2 RO, but this was more for the high KH.

CMS+B and the PMDD solution had a sizable amount of MgSO4 added to the original instructions.

I think it was about 1 table spoon per 500mls.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html
I think it was close to 3 tablespoons of epsom salt added to a liter bottle of the Macro solutions.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Tom do you think it's necessary to dose mg when using CSM+B? I have heard it was a good idea but just over the past few days have been reading the contrary.
Well, folks have done PMDD a lot longer than many other methods without issues other than low PO4.

I've gone to 50ppm ranges without issues:

You read something contrary ........on the web?

Oh my.......

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Well, folks have done PMDD a lot longer than many other methods without issues other than low PO4.

I've gone to 50ppm ranges without issues:

You read something contrary ........on the web?

Oh my.......
Exactly...

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
I think it was close to 3 tablespoons of epsom salt added to a liter bottle of the Macro solutions.
500mls = 1/2 q liter, the instructions state 1 tablespoon of CMS+B, 1 table spoon of MgSO4, 1 Tablespoon of KNO3 and 2 for the K2SO4, but this can be replaced with GH booster unless you believe whacky K+ myths. The GH booster will add more MgSO4 and there's a little in the CMS, so you are about close to 1.5 table spoons per 1/2 liter, or 3 table spoons per liter of solution.

The break down in ratios and ppm's are listed there in the link.

Just do not mix PO4 into it.......keep that separate from CMS.
Macros and micros are typically what many dose if they use liquids.
PO4 dosing was not considered much at the time of PMDD due to the belief it caused algae. But many did dose small amounts to stave off strong limitations on plants.

I, on the other hand, dosed a lot and reaped the benefits not to mention the knowledge and the better understanding.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode