No WC=Clearness- WC= Cloudy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
No WC=Clearness- WC= Cloudy

I used to do 15- 20% water changes once a week and my tank would always be cloudy, never clearing up. To experiment, I went almost 3 weeks this time before doing a 15% water change last night after I read up on the PPS Pro system where they said that sometimes a tank's water can be healthier without water changes than with them. Well my tank got clearer than its ever been, but now, the water change last night has clouded the water up again. Has anyone had this problem? What could be going on?

Before and after......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 6.10.11.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	31621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cloudy tank.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	31622  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Stupid questio, but are you sure you aren't kicking up the substrate when you add the new water?

Maybe when the water level is low, the flow from your HOB is kicking up a bit of detritus and sediment.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I unplug the filter before I start a wc (and don't turn it back on until the tank is full) and I use a little cup to slowly/carefully fill the water into the tank so as to not stir up anything. I think there's something funky in my tap water causing the cloudiness.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long does the cloudiness last?

Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

About 1 1/2- 2 weeks before it turned clear.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I too am having this problem in my 29 gallon. It never used to cloud up when I did a water change but then I did a rescape and now every water change it clouds up. No idea what's causing it either. I'm skipping my water change this weekend since my parameters are zero across the board to see if it helps any.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
If you're not stirring anything up, it must be particles in the tap. It's probably taking a couple of weeks for the stuff to process through your system to get back to zen state.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

Hmmmmmmm.....

My tank is Always better .... AFTER a water change.??????????????

You must be doing something strange.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLYANNA View Post
Hmmmmmmm.....

My tank is Always better .... AFTER a water change.??????????????

You must be doing something strange.
It's my fault? I turn the filter off before a water change and I use a cup to slowly pour new water in the tank being careful not to upset the substrate... what am I doing wrong? Could it possibly be something in my tap water???

From Green Leaf Aquariums site on the PPS Pro system....

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1409500-post5.html
Quote:

There are several reasons why people do water changes. One is in fish only aquariums to remove fish waste toxins. Next is in poorly planted aquariums with too many fish for the same reasons as fish only aquariums. Next is in fully planted aquariums with reasonable fish load and with poorly designed fertilizers causing unbalanced remains of chemicals. The last is in fully planted aquariums with leaking substances as decorations, rocks or substrates. Other then that, there is no reason for extra water changes in properly designed, maintained and fertilized aquariums.
FAQ
Can water changes be overdone and harmful?
That depends on the water source. If you use clean tap water or RO water then there is generally no harm, but some tap waters contain damaging chemicals. Some tap water sources will wipe out everything alive.
Will aquarium water deteriorate without massive water changes in the long run?
Not necessarily. It depends on the aquarium setup. Well run fully planted aquariums with reasonable fish load can go without water change for years without any water quality deterioration. In contrary the older water can be cleaner and better then fresh tap water. How? By plant uptake. Plants have the ability to consume everything available cleaning the water in the process. Any chemicals, waste and toxins are mineralized by microorganism and become available to plants. Plants take these chemicals and store them in their plant tissue. Then when we trim the plants we are removing the toxins and chemicals out of the aquarium. Plants are the ultimate filters.

How do I know if I need a water change?
The first is to find the weakest point for that particular aquarium. It may be your NO3, PO4, KH, GH, or Ca. These are the most common issues and are described in the problems section. When you find the one element that causes the problem in your aquarium you know how to regulate it and keep it under control in the long run. This process dictates the minimum rate of water changes.
Do I need to be testing all of the variables to determine the water changes?
No. Once you locate the most significant deteriorating factor the rest will be under control. For example, if you use KH leaking substrate you know by testing it that your aquarium needs 10% water change a week to keep it under control.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Algae Grower

I find that information interesting and agree with it but there is one other factor that it doesn't take into consideration which matters more for different people depending on your situation and that is disease. I cannot go more than a week without changing my water because I have an issue with diseases in my tank which is definitely not due to the fish load or overfeeding cause my chemical tests are always good. If I go two weeks inevitably a fish gets sick with bloat. I've treated the tank multiple times, changed the food, I have even moved and changed the substrate but still have the same problem. Point is you should also change your water if your fish are getting sick because diseases like ick for example can build up in the substrate and plants don't take parasites and bacteria out.

As for your question, is the water cloudy out of the tap or is it only when it is in your tank? Are you on a well? Well water can come out cloudy sometimes especially during the summer. Have you tried a different dechlorinator? Is it possibly anything that you are adding. I was adding Florish Iron and it was clouding my water at one point. If the water in your tap isn't cloudy then it is probably a chemical reaction that is happening between what's in your tap and what's in your aquarium... but I am drawling a blank on what it could be. Hopefully that gives you a couple things to look at at least.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio123 View Post
I find that information interesting and agree with it but there is one other factor that it doesn't take into consideration which matters more for different people depending on your situation and that is disease. I cannot go more than a week without changing my water because I have an issue with diseases in my tank which is definitely not due to the fish load or overfeeding cause my chemical tests are always good. If I go two weeks inevitably a fish gets sick with bloat. I've treated the tank multiple times, changed the food, I have even moved and changed the substrate but still have the same problem. Point is you should also change your water if your fish are getting sick because diseases like ick for example can build up in the substrate and plants don't take parasites and bacteria out.

As for your question, is the water cloudy out of the tap or is it only when it is in your tank? Are you on a well? Well water can come out cloudy sometimes especially during the summer. Have you tried a different dechlorinator? Is it possibly anything that you are adding. I was adding Florish Iron and it was clouding my water at one point. If the water in your tap isn't cloudy then it is probably a chemical reaction that is happening between what's in your tap and what's in your aquarium... but I am drawling a blank on what it could be. Hopefully that gives you a couple things to look at at least.
I don't have a problem with disease, tank has been up and going for 4 1/2 months without a fish loss... 10 cardinal tetra's, 5 gold tetra's. 3 glass cats, 2 otos, 1 amano shrimp, and a bunch of cherry shrimp and everyone seems happy and healthy.

I'm not on a well but I live in central Texas which has extremely high mineral content, high ph (9.5), and I know there's tons of chloramine in the tap, so much to where even when I use Prime x5 it only gets the ammonia level in my tap water down from 1 to .50 ppm. I'm also wondering if I don't have excessive silicates in the tap water. I started dosing NPK and CSM+B a little over a week ago. I am going to experiment by using ro water for my next water change.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I may have missed it, but how long has this tank been up and running? If it's a new tank, are you sure you are not just experiencing a bacterial bloom? Bacterial blooms can still occur in old tanks, for a number of reasons, but typically it happens in new ones.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

4 1/2 months.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Then I have to ask... have you ever let the bacterial bloom successfully finalize? Or are you changing the water every time it tries to? Because you can delay the inevitable all you want, by changing the water, but the bacteria need to colonize at some point. Otherwise your water will cloud up infinitely.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All I've ever done was small water changes, 15- 20%. I was doing them once a week but this last time I waited almost 3 weeks before doing a wc and the op is what I got from the wc. It's looking clearer today... 2 days later.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode