Dutch Nutrient Formula - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dutch Nutrient Formula

Hi there,

I need some help. Any fert Gurus want to lend some expertise?

I am about to make my inaugural foray into dry ferts. Been using SeaChem products to date. It's been tough to source dry ferts here in Canada but I have finally succeeded!

I purchased a "six pack" of nutrients from a local hydro store. It comes with everything you need; KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, Trace elements, and also comes with MgSO4 and CaNo3 which I don't believe I will use (at least not often).

My big concern at the moment is using the trace elements. The mix seems to be on par (for the most part with) CSM+B.

Chelated Micronutrient Gaurantee (100grams approx. 4 ounces):
Iron..............7.0%
Manganese.....2.0%
Zinc..............0.4%
Copper..........0.1%
Boron............1.3%
Molybdenum...0.66%

Compared to what I have read about CSM+B there are a few differences; CSM+B contains 1.5% Magneseium and an EDTA content of 55%. There are some minor descrepancies in the Boron count and the Molybdenum - DNT has a fair amount more.

Anyway, can someone with good knowledge or experience help me so I can get going with my dosing regime?

How do I mix this (trace) - ie. how much and how much do I put in?

Should I be concerned with the lack of EDTA?

Does any one have any experience with DNT?

Do I need to add anything further like Magnesium for example?

Can someone suggest a full EI dosing regimen? (I have a good idea how to do this but any advice would be helpful to me)

My Tank specs are:
  • 90Gal
  • 4 t5ho bulbs (3 @ 6700K, 1 @ 10000K) 8.5 hrs/day 12" from surface of H2O, (+/-)34" from substrate
  • Pressurized CO2 (approximately 6-7bps diffused through the atomic inline diffuser by GLA)
  • %65 Black Florite + %35Eco Complete substrate
  • Temp. is kept at about 80 degrees
  • PH varies with co2 between 7.0-7.6
  • KH 5, GH 9
  • 2x Fluval 405 filters
The tank is heavily planted and stocked including:

FLORA
Amazon Swords,
Bronze Crypt Wendtii,
Echinodorus Franz Stoffell,
Micro Swords,
Corkscrew Vals,
2 different Hygro (not sure the species at the moment)
Baby Tears
Tiger Lotus
Rotalla Rotatunda
Anubias nana
java fern
(sorry if my spelling is not correct on some of these)

FAUNA
5 GBR
12 Rummy Nose
15 Cardinals
9 Emperor Tetra
4 Bristle nose
7 Ottos
9 Amano Shrimp
2 zebra loaches
5 sterbi cory

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!! I love my tank and i just want to make sure i don't do any thing wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html Did you look here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

This was copied from the sticky but the 80 gallon dosing should get you close enough or you can add a pinch extra, remember your overdosing so nothing runs short, so the amounts don't have to exact and are just a guide.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have read this and it was very helpful.

I am mostly posting this to see if anyone could help me with trace mix. It is different from CSM+B.....

any additional advice is a much appreciated bonus.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

no help? Is this a dumb question?

Its tough to get assisstance in this forum i have found. I know I am a noob but we are all noobs at some point.

Do I have to be more direct and and to the point with my posts? A little less reading for you guys maybe?

I will try again and make things a lttle more concise.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
EDTA is the chelator used in CSMB. I don't know what the chelator used in your nutrient mix is, but the "lack" of EDTA isn't a concern. It is more about knowing what chelator is used.

I assume this comes from this: http://www.dutchnutrientformula.com/

But I do not know anything about their dry products, as they do not list it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If I were you I would ask Hoppy,Wet or Newt

I am not knowledgable

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Algae Grower

PM me if you want a source to get CSM+B in canada. Sorry I cant help with your particular trace mix, I just started EI dosing 2 months ago. I do KNO3, KH2PO4, CSM+B, and GH booster at WC.

75G MED TECH DIRT TANK.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

the molybdenum is my only concern..It is a metal and im not sure what levels would be toxic to fish or shrimp...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
The nutrients listed are pretty much the same as CSM with the differences you've listed. I'd not be concerned about any minor differences or the different chelator. I would dose it per the EI sticky for your size tank and go from there. You will want to to use your MgSo4, adding around 2 ppm three times per week. As for the CaNo3 you might need it depending on the GH of your water.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Everyone - thanks for the help. I'm still in need of some reassurance and alot of confidence. You read so much on these topics and it just gets you second guessing everything.

Jeff I extra appreciate your advice - you basically answered exactly what I needed and btw I love your 75gal tank - its beautiful.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I forgot to mention if you use the CaNo3 you might want to check how much NO3 that will be adding and dose less KNO3 to accomodate it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
One way to compare different trace element mixes is to look at the percentage of iron in the mix, and match doses of the two mixes so the amount of iron being dosed is the same. If that results in a lot more of one or more of the other elements, you can add some chelated iron to increase the amount in the non-CSM+B mix. Since there is no need to hit even close to a target with any of the trace elements, except possibly iron, it makes sense to me to just try to use iron as the "indicator" element.

Another somewhat critical element is copper. Some non aquatic trace element mixes have considerably more copper in them than CSM+B has. Again, I would add more chelated iron to reduce the amount of that mix needed, so as not to get so much copper. Too much copper is toxic.

Hoppy
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hoppy thanks for the advice. Going by what you say then I should really have no problem using this mix as the Chelated Iron count is identical to that of CSM+B, as is Copper. The differences between these mixes are somewhat minor then.

I feel so much more confident now. Thank you very much!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode