Rising pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Rising pH

I have been doing a fishless cycle in my 90g tank for the past 3 weeks and everything seems to have gone well. I've been adding ammonia and regularly and am now reading:

ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0

kh = 35(drops)
gh = 0 (Could my test kits be wrong?)

The nitrates were up to 10 ppm but have gone done to 0 I think because of the tank being really heavily planted from the start. I will start to fertilize using the EI method today.

I am wondering why the pH on this tank seems to be rising. I am just using tap water which has a pH of 7.4. After doing a 75% water change
yesterday my tank was reading 7.6 and this morning it is up to 8.0. I will be running pressurized CO2 on this tank that will bring the pH down but I was wondering what could be making it rise like this. I know that some think that pH is not that important (as long as no sudden changes for the fish) but was wondering if I have something else going on in the tank that I should know about.

I was running the CO2 up pretty high (DC was yellow) and the pH also rose while the CO2 levels where rising (based on DC color).

Should I stop using my tap water (pH = 7.4, Kh = 35 gh=0), add minerals, RO or what? It seems like the water is too soft (gh) for it to be healthy for my plants.

Thanks for your help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm almost sure you don't have zero GH. With 35 ppm of KH you should have some calcium in the water. I can't imagine what would cause the pH to go up if it isn't a rise in KH, but water companies do add a variety of stuff to the water to keep the pH above 7, so whatever that is may be causing the changes you see. One thing you can do is add GH booster (Equilibrium or equivalent) to raise the GH a couple of degrees. (And, replace your GH test kit)

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode