New canister filter cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
New canister filter cycling

Hey everyone,

I am setting up two new 12" cubes and have two new Eheim 2211 classics, and I am wanting to cycle the tanks as quickly as possible. I have some other well established tanks and I was wondering would it be more beneficial to use the new filters in my other tanks for a week to get things off to a start or is there a better way of doing it? I know some people squeeze old media into the new tank, but didn't know if it would be better if I just ran the filters in an established tank. They will be shrimp tanks so no fish to speed the cycle along and really don't want to go with dumping ammonia in type cycle. Should I use something like Seachem Stability or Nutrafin Cycle that has the bacteria in it? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Running a filter in an established tank is one of the best ways to cycle it. If you can put some media from your established filter into your new filter, the bacteria will go from the old media and colonize the new media much faster.

The only thing to make sure of is that the tank can handle all the extra filtration: you need to keep your old filter running too or all your bacteria will die there and you will have to cycle that one again. If having three filters on there at a time is too much, you could cycle one of your Eheim 2211 and get that tank going, then cycle the other one.

Joy to the fishes!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hmm I do have alot of filter floss in the established canister filter I could split amongst the new filters, and a good bit of the ceramic rings I might could sacrifice out of it, do I need a whole lot? I think I was just trying to be lazy and not have to yank that canister out lol, but it might be beneficial to put some old media in both and run them for a week in the established tank. It is a large tank so the eheim's shouldnt be an issue running along side. How do you guys feel about Purigen during the cycle, should I put it in the canister after?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
If you have enough floss and rings to spread between the three filters, by all means do it, and add new ones to make up the difference. Having a little will at least get the colony on your new filters going, but the more there is the faster it can colonize the new media.

Purigen won't really affect the cycle at all. If you're planning on keeping it in there after the cycle you might as well put it in, as the bag is another thing that beneficial bacteria can colonize. If you're going to have a lot of tannins from driftwood or something it would be good to have it in from the start.

Joy to the fishes!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode