Fertilizing my 75 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Fertilizing my 75

I have my new 75 with flourite black sand, only 3 x 32 watt T8 bulbs so low medium light I guess, and pressurized co2 to make sure all needs are met. Its like a light limited type of system. I was hoping someone had an idea of what kind of fert routine I should use. I have dry ferts (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, and Plantex CSM) I was thinking something with water changes but not a ton. Do you think something like a modified EI will work? for lower maintenance since its a light limited system? Like just one day of macros and one day of micros instead of three of each like full EI and then maybe a 25 to 30% change at the end of the week. Or maybe every two weeks, idk. All ideas all welcome. I'm using root tabs throughout the tank too but just need a dry fert routine. I have a gram scale so any ideas in grams or such work too. Or in ppm work too. I've been working on some ideas with calculators but I have no idea of what the uptake rate of the plants would be with this kind of system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Your idea to dose per the EI table, but only one dose a week, should work. You might not need to worry about water changes for a month that way. Don't neglect calcium and magnesium though - if your GH is low you probably don't have enough magnesium and possibly not enough calcium. If you use GH booster once a week or every two weeks that should take care of that possibility.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Hoppy! As for the magnesium and calcium, besides getting a GH booster this moment, could seachem equilibrium work just as well? I have a bunch of it on hand and that's why I'm asking. And if so, how would you dose it? Like maybe enough to raise GH a half degree or maybe one full degree?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 View Post
Thanks Hoppy! As for the magnesium and calcium, besides getting a GH booster this moment, could seachem equilibrium work just as well? I have a bunch of it on hand and that's why I'm asking. And if so, how would you dose it? Like maybe enough to raise GH a half degree or maybe one full degree?
Equilibrium is a GH booster. That would work just fine.

Find your target GH and then dose per the instructions.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's what I figured. But I don't have a target GH really, my tap is about a 9 which is nice but I figure I should still add some amount each week or two to keep the calcium and magnesium up, correct?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Because you can have a high GH, but still have little or no magnesium in the water, you should probably add enough Equilibrium to raise the GH a couple of degrees. High GH isn't a problem for fish or plants, the way high KH can be. The plants won't use up much of the GH, so you don't need to dose that much every week.

Hoppy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How about for magnesium, could we use Epsom salt?

If I dose GH for a couple degrees each week or two, will that get taken up by the plants and keep my GH stable or will that keep building up making my water really hard?

Would buying a GH booster from one of the aquarium fert vendors be a better idea? Or if not that, should I just buy magnesium separate?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
If you need to add some Mg then Epsom Salt is the ticket (imo)

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
PPS Pro- Perpetual Preservation System

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode