Drop Checker set up??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Drop Checker set up???

Sorry I searched but couldn't find this one, I just got a glass nano drop checker, I filled it half way with water, 5 drops of CO2 solution (it's from China so I guess that a 4dK or H solution) and 3 drops of pH solution. Did I get that right, if not please help me out with the correct setup, thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Usually you would fill it with only the 4 dkh solution. Some of them already have the pH indicator added. If not 2 or 3 drops of that is added. The amount of pH indicator isn't that critical.

However, check with the directions that came with the solution. Perhaps it's different.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i also bought mine on e bay from china and put 4 drops in as instructed but couldnt figure it out, i came to the conclusion that you still need to get the 4 dkh yourself then add the 4 drops of solution supplied (i think it is just ph checker supplied) still waiting for the 4dkh to be delivered so could tell you hopefully tomorrow...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, it's labeled as "CO2 level indicator reagent" and there's a color chart and some Chinese letters and stuff. The bottle is labeled "CO2 Test" the instruction on the back
1. add 5 drops
2. Refill aquarium water to the level line
and it shows a drawing of an old Dupla style DC, but I think I need to redo it without the pH solution, I'll try that, it was nice and blue but I used water from my glass of Brita. So I did it wrong, the letters are so, so tiny I almost can read it with my glasses on and my arm extended.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I added 5 drops and a couple of ml of tank water and it turned a med green and I was cranking the CO2 all day, but it's been lights out for 3 hrs so that's about right, thanks folks. I guess I was remembering a DIY solution or something.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Tank water makes the drop checker inaccurate because it's not pure 4dKH solution anymore, so you can't interpret it like you would like to (i.e. green doesn't mean 30ppm CO2 anymore due to tank water, etc).
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
It should turn blue when 3 to 5 drops of reagent is added to about 1.5 ml of 4dKH solution. It should fill the regular size drop checker halfway.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

yep, i put filter water in and it went dark green and then put it above my co2 excess bubble out let, turned up the co2 for 10 mins to see if it works and didnt change colour at all... 4dkh is a must i think...?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I'm going to give it a go as per the instructions on the bottle, everything is pearling away at 2 bps but the DC is dark green so I cranked up the CO2 to 3.5 bps and I'll check the DC in an hour or two and see what happens. BTW the reagent solution is an orange color that turns blue when it hits filtered tap water.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've been using my DCs with the provided solution and tank water. I just got some 4dkh solution. Sort of anxious to see what the diff will be with my current set amount of CO2 into my tanks. I've been pushing yellow on 3 of 4 tanks for a while now. Going to try it out tonight.

Eheim Pimp #448
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I just dumped it again and tried it with 4 drops and tap water so it would start out blue, the instructions are for a different type of DC, so I going to play around to see what I get. Whats the instruction with your 4dkh solution jrman83????

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have the same drop checker solution. Using anything other than 4dkh water means you can't get an accurate measurement. Sure it'll change color, but that doesn't mean anything other than you have CO2 in your tank. It would be like having a thermometer without any markings. Sure the mercury will rise, but you still have no idea what the temperature is.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I just dumped it again and tried it with 4 drops and tap water so it would start out blue, the instructions are for a different type of DC, so I going to play around to see what I get. Whats the instruction with your 4dkh solution jrman83????
The stuff that came with my DC, you add 3-4 drops then the rest is tank water. I used the 4dkh solution in place of anywhere it said use tank water and added in the ph regeant and it all started out dark blue and 3 of the 4 are now green. I have two different types of DCs - one of them is the one made by Red Sea. Worked fine with that one also.

Eheim Pimp #448
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannik View Post
I have the same drop checker solution. Using anything other than 4dkh water means you can't get an accurate measurement. Sure it'll change color, but that doesn't mean anything other than you have CO2 in your tank. It would be like having a thermometer without any markings. Sure the mercury will rise, but you still have no idea what the temperature is.
Drop Checkers are not precise just something to make you aware your CO2 may be going toward the high end of the scale we use to keep our fish alive. So if it turns light green or yellow I can check my pH and if it's 6.4 or lower I most likely have a good amount of CO2 in my water, that's all I want.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Drop Checkers are not precise just something to make you aware your CO2 may be going toward the high end of the scale we use to keep our fish alive. So if it turns light green or yellow I can check my pH and if it's 6.4 or lower I most likely have a good amount of CO2 in my water, that's all I want.
There is a difference between being precise within a fraction of an inch and missing your target by a mile. If your tank water is extremely hard by the time you hit even dark green you could be at 80 ppm and putting your fish at risk. And if you use plain distilled water your checker could be yellow and only have 15 PPM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode