Cloudy +Diatoms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cloudy +Diatoms

Over this weekend I was at a party way longer than expected so my light was on for about 14 hours I came home to a bad outbreak of diatoms, plus the water was cloudy and the flow was reduced on my HOB filter. Fortunately, the sponge filter was going strong.
The tank this happened on is a 20g tall with T5HO, pressurized CO2, I dose iron to get my red plants to turn red otherwise no other ferts. The photo period is normally only about 5-6 hours. I could probably do a longer photo period but then I'd need to dose ferts and I want to avoid that since I have CRS and Corydoras Habrosas in this tank.
So far I just rinsed out the pre-filter sponge and flow improved. I then added activated carbon in case it is a chemical issue It has been two days and the tank is even cloudier, almost like a new tank with unrinsed substrate. Also when I woke up on Saturday I noticed about 50 tiny tiny baby shrimp and I'm afraid I'll suck them up in a water change so I've been putting that off.
I'm guessing that extended photo period caused my plants to bottom out some nutrients which then caused the algae bloom, which then caused the reduced flow, which then caused the cloudy water. I could be totally off base, but that seems what happened.
I'd appreciate any suggestions. I was hoping it would clear up on its own. What I plan on is a 50% water change and a 1x dose of micro/macro ferts and to lower the photo period to 4 hours. Before that booboo this tank has been running great for about 4 months with a snail outbreak being my only problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
If it was any other type of algea I could think maybe but diatoms are from silicates, mostley found in substrates of new tanks or in tap water. Read these and let me know what you think https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...3-diatoms.html and http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/ diatoms are at the bottom of the page.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think it is green water. I cleaned the Diatoms off the glass and did a 75% water change. I think it is green water. I'm going to do a 4 day blackout combined with 25% daily water changes and see how that turns out. If it still isn't fixed I'm going to buy a UV sterilizer.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You don't use a timer for your lights, I guess?

Eheim Pimp #448

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode