Co2 concentrations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Co2 concentrations

So I was wondering how much accuracy is in the rule of shooting for a digit drop in pH to assume you have good concentrations of CO2? Is it not dependent on other factors as well or is that applicable to all tanks? My off gassed water is 7.5 but I can get my tank to 6.3 and don't notice any issues with my fish. My filter won't flow high enough to get it down further because all I get is an air pocket.
Was thinking about getting another filter just for the reactor to keep pushing the pH down. I'm running fully auto co2 with a pinpoint controller on my 75. I had a drop checker in there when I always kept it at 6.8 and it was green, but I gave it away. Now I'm curious where I can go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What brand of reator do you use?? A pH of 6.3 is a pretty big swing and you should have plenty of CO2 in the tank, do you feel the plants are not growing fast enough or what brought you to this question?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The drop of 1 in pH means the concentration of CO2 increased by a factor of 10. Since you don't know what the starting concentration was, you don't know what the final concentration is. The assumption that the starting concentration was 3 ppm is behind the assumption that you have good CO2, 30 ppm, with the drop of 1 in pH. But, the starting concentration could have been 2 or 4 ppm, or something else.

You can increase the concentration of CO2 up to the point where the fish start clustering at the surface "gulping air", or fish start laying on the substrate or losing their colors. Those are signs that you have too much CO2.

Hoppy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I use a sera 500 reactor. I have never noticed the fish gulping at the surface except for the gourami, which is normal. Now that you mention it though, I am having some fading with a couple fish. As well as seeing one of my cory cats looking pretty lifeless on the bottom, but some of them always seem to be doing it. As soon as I moved towards the part of the tank he was at he bolted off so I don't know.

My plants are definitely growing fast, but I suppose it is all relative to my own experience. So I can't really tell if there is room for improvement. I just wanted to be operating at maximum capacity. Just don't know where that is....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
I just wanted to be operating at maximum capacity. Just don't know where that is....
Do it slowly !!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode