N/P have been zero and are not rising after dosing! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
N/P have been zero and are not rising after dosing!

My tank
Light: 3.7wpg (aqualife T5 HO) 11 Hrs a day
CO2: 15ppm
Iron: dose 2 times week flourish iron 6ml each time
Micro/Macro nutrient mix daily dose 10ml (i do not know the concentrations of hand).

I have been having trouble raising my nitrates (0ppm) and phosphates (<.25ppm) and have now bought dry ferts to make stock solutions with.

I made a stock solution of KNO2 so that 1ml = 0.33ppm increase N and a stock solution of KH2PO4 so that 1ml = 0.10ppm increase P.

I added 27ml of N solution and 3ml of P solution. Tested 2 hours later and saw no change. (o PPM N and <0.25ppm P)

I then again added 27ml of N solution and 3ml of P solution. Tested 3 hours later and still saw no change.

I have added another 27ml of N and 3 ml of P and am going to test again tonight.

My hunch is that i have been at 0ppm N and <.25ppm P for so long my plants are probably really needing the nutrients and sucking them up pretty quickly...

Has anybody had this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you give up the idea of closely matching the nutrient concentrations in the water to the plants needs, and just dose enough so you can be sure you won't run short on any of them, life gets a lot easier. It really isn't possible to closely match the plants needs anyway - those needs go up as the plant mass goes up, as the water temperature goes up a bit, as the light intensity goes up, as the CO2 concentration goes up, etc. (And vice versa) Look at the dosing method described in the sticky in this forum for a better way to dose, that solves your problems completely.

Hoppy
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you for the quick reply hoppy. I will give it a try. That sticky forum on dry dosing is very helpful.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Have you also given thought that your testing supplies may be incorrect or your measurements are being done wrong? Are you using liquid testing or strips? What brand? Maybe take it to your LFS to get a double check
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using API liquid testing. I have tested my tank before i started dosing and then took a sample to my LFS and the results were similar.

I am not fond of the API liquid testing and will probably invest in some strips. The tests are a little harder to determine the color compared to the STD chart since they have transparency.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
haha, strips are WAY less accurate than the liquid kits. There's no way you should be going from liquid to strips; that's like going from a car to a bicycle.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Are you shaking both testing liquids for a minute prior to using them? The nitrate test is NOT performed like the ph test FYI, there's a lot more shaking and time involved. I imagine the phosphorous test is the same, are you sure you're doing it right? I only ask because for the first couple weeks here, I wasn't and it took hoppy calling it for me to figure it out :p

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Are you shaking both testing liquids for a minute prior to using them? The nitrate test is NOT performed like the ph test FYI, there's a lot more shaking and time involved. I imagine the phosphorous test is the same, are you sure you're doing it right? I only ask because for the first couple weeks here, I wasn't and it took hoppy calling it for me to figure it out :p
Ditto what HA said. At first I wasn't shaking both nitrate bottles long enough, I was shaking them but not for a good 30 seconds to a minute. After I started shaking them longer I started getting nitrate readings on my tests.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yikes...i will test it right now and get back to you guys...i have since added about 750ml of that N solution i made and i am finally starting to get 5ppm readings...i will retest and shake the bottles as directed...hopefully my nitrate readings are not off the chart.

Thanks for all the help guys.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow you guys were totally right...i guess i should have been following the directions...i just shook for about 1 min on each bottle (timed) my readings are off the chart >160ppm...i am doing large water changes as we speak. Hopefully my angels do not die...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Knew that had to be the case...you can't just keep adding nitrates and not have them in your tank. Hope you get it under control. Do a 50 percent change now and another 50 percent either later today or tomorrow. That will hopefully put you at 40ppm. If you want to be extra save to two 50s today and one tomorrow.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'll perform 2 50% today and retest on nitrates and see if i can get it down. Once again thanks for all the help. A noob mistake.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

after performing my first 50% water change my nitrates are still >160ppm....i'm performing another....
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd be careful with doing 100% waer change all at once, may shock the fish and end up hurting rather than helping. Maybe wait a until later today to do the other one.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you don't already have some, run out and buy some Prime, it will at least detoxify your nitrates while you perform the water changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode