PO4 high. Looking for best way to lower it - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PO4 high. Looking for best way to lower it

Hi
My PO4 is 2 ppm and my nitrates are 10ppm. I want to lower my PO4 to 1ppm. What is the best product or home remidy for doing this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

What Mother Nature does so easily, We take for granted that we should be able to do the same.
I wish she wrote a book on keeping fish, raising kids and keeping our loved ones happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Do you know where the phosphates are coming from? Overfeeding, tap water, activated carbon, decaying plants, water additives...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tap water is okay. I do have some decaying plants in the tank. I did a bleach did on the plants a week ago to try to remove staghorn algae. I am getting some leaves and associated dead plant stuff in the tank. I have done a lot of water changes to clean things up. I did a 50% yesterday but the PO4 is staying high.
I do not use activated carbon.
I do not over feed.
The only additives have been Tap Water Conditioner from A.P.
I have added plantabs for rooted plants and I added Flourish comprehensive additive.
Thanks

What Mother Nature does so easily, We take for granted that we should be able to do the same.
I wish she wrote a book on keeping fish, raising kids and keeping our loved ones happy.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
The phosphate could be coming from the tap water conditioner. I'm not familiar with that particular water conditioner.

Marcel

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PO4 is okay in my other tanks that are using the same condititioner.
I have a lot of decaying plants from a bleach dip I did. I think this is the cause. I removed a lot and am going to do another water change tomorrow.
Thanks for the help

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Your best bet is to do a lot of cycling and throw some PhosBan or PhosGuard in your filter. I think you should probably try to get those Phosphates down to more like .5 or so. It really depends on your lighting level, though. Higher lighting will make a lot more algae if your phosphates aren't low.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wouldnt worry about the 2ppm... its high for now but not critical. As long as you know that nothing is elevating it then it will lower in time.
Not a biggie man...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What kind of plant tabs have you added? plant tabs for terresterial plants usually contain lots of phosphates...

Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not sure if you consider the lighting high as it is a tall 40 gallon 36" x 12' x 22" I have 140 watts of lighting. I 110w caompact 36" and 1 36" PowerGlo bulb. I have 3 Nartural plant sytem CO2 generators and I do have staghorn algae. That is why I was concerned about the high phosphates, I did add 2 PhosX pads to the two AquaClear 50 HOB filters and did a 50% water change today. The PO4 is now down to 1.0ppm
I think it was all the dead plants that caused the spike.
I will continue to monitor it.
Not sure the brand of planttabs were. I have read a lot of post about Flourish Excel eliminating algae if used in double dose. Maybe will ty that. All I have now is Flourish Comprehensive Suppliment 0.7-0.01-.37 Phosphate is P_O5 = .01%.
Have been adding this at 2.5 ml once aweek.
Thanks

'

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Algae Grower

Don't mean to sound condescending in the least but you should really know what you're putting into your tank before you do it. If it's the product I'm thinking about, then I use it too, right after a water change, then I fine tune it throughout the week with Seachem's Nitro+ and Flourish Phosphate to maintain the proper N:P ratio. Yours wasn't bad as was mentioned before. You could have also increased your nitrate level a little higher, but you would know better.

Plantabbs has 15% phosphate that will seep into the water if you place it in the substrate. Here's the breakdown on the ingredients from: www.aquariumguys.com/plantabbs.html

Ingredients:
Nitrogen, phosphoric acid, potash [potassium]

Guaranteed Analysis:
11 percent total nitrogen
4.9 percent ammoniacal nitrogen
6.1 percent nitrate nitrogen
15 percent available phosphoric acid
20 percent soluble potash

It's a good product for general fertilization, but if you're testing and trying to keep a certain ratio you might want to fine tune your fertilization regimen. I'm still working on mine, too.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 01:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My thought too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I wouldnt worry about the 2ppm... its high for now but not critical. As long as you know that nothing is elevating it then it will lower in time.
Not a biggie man...
Since you already ripped out the PO4...Don't worry so much in the future.

In a week the level would have dropped from plant uptake.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinnix
I have read a lot of post about Flourish Excel eliminating algae if used in double dose. Maybe will ty that.
Dosing above the recommended dose of Flourish Excel is very very risky. Overdosing Excel leads to lowered O2 levels...in some tanks this can prove fatal for some fish. In a tank with a very low bio-load and a very low BOD (Biological Oxygen Demand) rate some folks have "got away" with overdosing Excel. In my experience and in my opinion the risk far outweights the reward. Doing the regular maintenance deeds such as weekly water changes, weekly to bi-weekly nutrient dosing, along with insuring CO2 levels are consistent and stable will do more long term good for controlling and eliminating any nuisance algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thaks appriate your advice

I ended up adding more CO2 and the Staghorn algae is now gone without overdisong the excel. What you said makes sence. I do have 2 Aquaclear 50's on the 40 gallon tall tank,this supplies a lot of surface agitation causing good oxigen level. My CO2 runs around runs around 24 ppm using Chucks Planted aquarium calculator. Thanks for your worries and relying them to me, my fish thak you too.
Have a good day

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Man
Ingredients:
Nitrogen, phosphoric acid, potash [potassium]

Guaranteed Analysis:
11 percent total nitrogen
4.9 percent ammoniacal nitrogen
6.1 percent nitrate nitrogen
15 percent available phosphoric acid
20 percent soluble potash

It's a good product for general fertilization, but if you're testing and trying to keep a certain ratio you might want to fine tune your fertilization regimen. I'm still working on mine, too.
No, they stink, they have NH4(4.9%) in there, that's the issue with general ferts and Jobes, you pull one up and you'll have green water.

That's lousy and should not be sold for aquarium use.
I can sell Miracle grow and say the same thing, they make sticks too, less NH4 as well.

Back to the issue, PO4, I think it's a cheap test kit that's giving you funny readings and unless you have claibrated the test kit, there's no way you can have much confidence it it.

Adding something to remove something that is plant nutrient is slightly irrational. Why add something to take it out?

That's the plant's job. If you have a buildup of PO4, you need to find out why the plants are not removing it, they are quite efficicent at PO4 and NO3 removal.

So you have two things to consider, the test kit, the principle of removal in the first place.

It's your money.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Algae Grower

Oooh, thanks for the tip. I'll stop using this product. Gives me all the more reason to rush my order from Greg. Thanks again!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode