Would like someone to look over my EI dosing amounts/schedule - converting dry to liq - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Would like someone to look over my EI dosing amounts/schedule - converting dry to liq

Hi,

I'm adding pressurized Co2 to my tank this week and will start EI dosing this week. I would really like someone to take a look at my numbers and see if everything look okay.

Tank is a 75g, 2-4" of EC substrate front to back, moderate-highly planted, but new cuttings. Catalina T5HO 3 bulb fixture, mounted on top of tank using legs, plan on using a 10k and Grow light to start, 3rd bulb is a 6700. Tank is approximately 95% stocked. Bolivian Rams, Dwarf Rainbows, Sunset Platy's, Guppies, Cardinal Tetra's, Albino Cory's and Oto's.

Target CO2 - 25-30ppm

I purchased my dry ferts from GLA and two 500ml dispensers.

What I plan on doing is mixing the dry ferts in the dispensers and applying every other day. From the general EI guidelines:

Mixture 1 - Macro:
1. 3/4 tsp KNO3 3x a week, x5 weeks (15oz) should equal 3.75 tbsp.
2. 3/16 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week, x5 weeks (15oz) should equal 2.81 tbsp.

I plan on mixing these with 443ml of water and applying 29.57ml (1oz) Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Mixture 2 - Micro: (Stored in refigerator)
1. 2 tbsp CSM+B into 500ml of water. This should give me twenty five 20ml doses which I plan on applying on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

50% Water change on Sunday with 1tsp of Ultimate GH Booster from GLA.

Do my calculations/schedule seem correct so far?

Now a few questions...

1. I was originally going to go with the PMDD method and purchased K2S04 and MGS04. Going with the EI method, is there any need for these?

2. I've read that you should dose Micro and Macro on different days... and then I've read that it's fine to dose all in the same day as they will be diluted enough by the time you add the remainder. Should I stay with my outlined schedule or should I cut the dose in half and dose both 6 days per week?

3. Is tap water okay for the Micro mixture or should I used distilled?

4. Since this is my starting dosing amounts and first time, should I make any adjustments due to the tank being heavily stocked?

Thanks for any help, recommendations and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
You may see a need with heavy stocking to reduce NO3 amounts as I did.
Distilled and RO is what I use in my bottles for the mix.
Also I add Glut (Excel) to prevent growth in the solutions.

Figure your water column as about 60 gal for dosing purposes because filling 4 different 75g tanks and having wood and rocks in the scape they never seem to hold more than 64g max. HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

Thanks, that was something I was wondering about... I started dosing last night and I cut the NO3 by 20%. I'll start there and see how things go.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
There is no good reason for using other than tap water in your mixes. Unless your tap water is so bad you won't even use it for the tank water, the tiny amount of tap water that you would add with each dose is trivial.

The reason for dosing the same every day is to avoid forgetting what day it is, what gets dosed that day, etc. Doing the same thing 7 days a week eliminates that problem.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

Thanks and I did go with tap water on the Plantex. I read that distilled would help with mold, but then I've read more people saying that they have had no problems with tap water, so decided to try it and see what happens.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
If your tap water has chlorine that would stop mold growth, yes????

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode