Ph Swing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ph Swing

I've just increased my co2 from 2 bps to 4 bps a couple of days ago in order to get my ph down to 6.8 from about 7.5. I have it on a timer so it goes off at night, by morning the ph is back to 7.5... is the ph swing harmful/stressful for my fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
CO2 related pH swings don't bother fish at all. Chemical (hardness) related swings do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool, thanks. Didn't know if I was going to have to buy a ph contoller. :/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm still trying to understand all the aspects of ph/hardness/co2.

It sure looks to me like the fish don't care about ph swings that come with CO2 turning on and off. But then again, when my ph went down to 5.5 due to CO2, they were in severe distress.

My current understanding is that it's not the ph that gasses the fish as much as it's the abundance of CO2 and/or the lack of O2 dissolved in the water that eventually makes the fish gasp for breath.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What caused it to go down to 5.5? Did you turn it on that high or was something like end of tank dump or faulty regulator?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nope. I just turned on my ph controller and slowly reduced the ph, a tiny bit every day. I made it all the way to around 5.5 before the fish showed obvious signs of stress (and most of the snails died!).

Unfortunately, the only time I ever saw pearling was at that lowest point. My HC was pearling like crazy! Under identical circumstances but a ph of 6.0 (where it's set now) the plants seem like they are doing OK but not as well as they were at 5.5. Also, at 5.5 there was literally no algae growth in the tank at all, but at 6 there is just a little bit.

I'm trying to find the 'right' level to set my CO2, but it's been really tough. If it's low enough to make the plants explode with growth and eliminate algae, all the fish will die! At the level where the fish and shrimp seem happy, the growth isn't 100% and there is a bit of algae.

I'm still trying to dial it all in

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Makes two of us.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I just run my CO2 at 2-3 bps during the photo period and at night I turn it down to a bubble every 2-3 seconds, I have no idea what my pH is.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
Nope. I just turned on my ph controller and slowly reduced the ph, a tiny bit every day. I made it all the way to around 5.5 before the fish showed obvious signs of stress (and most of the snails died!).

Unfortunately, the only time I ever saw pearling was at that lowest point. My HC was pearling like crazy! Under identical circumstances but a ph of 6.0 (where it's set now) the plants seem like they are doing OK but not as well as they were at 5.5. Also, at 5.5 there was literally no algae growth in the tank at all, but at 6 there is just a little bit.

I'm trying to find the 'right' level to set my CO2, but it's been really tough. If it's low enough to make the plants explode with growth and eliminate algae, all the fish will die! At the level where the fish and shrimp seem happy, the growth isn't 100% and there is a bit of algae.

I'm still trying to dial it all in
Dave I'm not exactly sure but if your plants never pearl I would think your lighting is a little weak, I run a low light period, then strong, then low, and mine pearl like crazy the whole water surface is tiny bubbles, Whats your lighting like?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode