Low light + Excel, Do I need to dose macros? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low light + Excel, Do I need to dose macros?

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in another thread, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/138578-lighting-upgrade-low-deep-55g.html I currently have around 1.5wpg of T8 lighting over my 55gallon.

Lighting upgrades and pressurized co2 are in the works, but will still be a couple of months away due to $$$$.

Until recently my tank and plants were doing fine without adding anything but flouish comprehensiv. I bought a heap of plants on special at my LFS, put them in and then growth almost stopped and half of the new plants died. I started using excel daily and upped flourish to 2x weekly and growth has kick started again.

What I'm noticing now is that I have rather unhealthy looking plants compared to before. Alot of the new growth is twisted/deformed, I have alot of small pinholes throughout some of the older plants and many yellow leaves. I also have GSA appearing on some older leaves of a plant thats almost stopped growing (used to trim this every 2 weeks).

Photoperiod is currently 10hrs and always has been.

Do I need to dose macros? I was under the impression that macros weren't necessary for a low light tank but it appears that the increase in plant to fish ratio may be causing these deffiencies.

What does everyone think? This all new to me, all i want is healthy steady growing plants, not crazy fast growth.

Thanks,
Evan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
im not sure of your substrate

however...dosing macros/micros is NEVER a bad thing and is recommended for EVERY tank
...the only thing that changes is the amount/intensity of the lighting from setup to setup

Flourish Comp is only the micro/trace nutrients tho...so you NEED to add the macros as well...plants need macros on a higher level than micros so get to it

as far as controlling speed of growth...you should do that with lights, not by limiting available nutrients/CO2 (otherwise you get algae)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ah, thank you! I thought this maybe the case. What do you suggest I start with, am I better to start with too much and work down or starting low and adding more if necessary? And I gather excel will be enough in the meantime? Substrate is just inert sand. Thanks Very much.

Evan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode