request for help analyzing parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
request for help analyzing parameters

Thanks for help.

I have two tanks, one established over a year, the other set up yesterday. They both have the same exact parameters.

The established tank is 5 gallon with fish, frog, and 2 crypts and some floater plants.

The new one is 20 gallon (only half full) has miracle grow, pool filter sand, lights, plants and a couple of snails. It has no filter or water circulation or fish. When I first added water there was some from the established tank. Then I had an issue with the sand and many water changes, a couple were 90%. So not sure if there is much left in there.

The test strips came back exactly the same:

NO3: 20 ish
NO2: 0
GH: off the chart, a golden yellow, very hard
KH: 150
PH: 7.5

Ammonia test: 0

Since the test I added loads of tan fuzz from the filter to the new tank.

What do I need to do to cycle the 20 gallon? I know people with planted tans don't cycle. I have loads of plants. I am not sure there is enough of the fast growing stem plants though.

Should I wait and test again in a week? If the parameters are the same next week is it ready for fish or shrimp? I would love to put some shrimp in now.

I'd like to get a powerhead with prefilter before putting the fish in.

Anyway what do my numbers mean. I have read articles but what does it meant that both tanks have the same numbers even though there must have been only 1% of the established water left in the new tank.

Thanks for your help,

Christy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I don't know a lot about cycling tanks but I believe shrimp are sensitive to ammonia and most new tanks will have an ammonia spike, so I think you want to continue the fishless cycle at least until you see this ammonia spike. Planting the tank heavily is the best thing to do but I think you still have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for livestock. I would wait unless you hear differently from someone with more experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode