EI dosing with Osmocote Tabs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Question EI dosing with Osmocote Tabs?

I've redone my 150 and naturally it started as a low tech tank and is moving towards the high tech end, the hard part is keeping a balance as you progress. I wanted to use Osmocote gel caps in the substrate (8 year old Flourite) to get ferts to the roots of the plants, will I need to dose EI to get the growth I want. Also does the ferts from the gel caps leach into the water column because I would guess that ferts (EI) would not get into the substrate due to the lack of movement down there and would be absorbed mostly through the leaves of the plant. But I'm at a point now where the limiting factor in growth may be ferts and I have had an outbreak of diatoms and that suggests that my tap water may be high in silicates, so full out EI dosing may not be for me without an RO/DI unit which I niether want to afford ot try to setup for waterchanges. Thus I thought the gel caps plus a lighter dosing schedule may help me to cut back to monthly waterchanges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've read only one other post on this subject and that person claims to dose only Micro's while using the Osmocote gel caps.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water column fertilizer will get into the substrate albeit not in any great amount. By the same token, the root tabs will diffuse into the water column, but again, most should be uptaken by plant roots.

Honestly, EI is the easiest way to dose, and adding root caps makes sure you are covering all the bases. I don't understand why you would need RO water to dose EI. I would just do EI + root ferts and a weekly water change. You can tweak a little here and there if you want, but EI takes away all the guess work.

Some don't like or want to use the EI method, and more power to them, but the dosing is easiest with this method, and the weekly water changes keep everything nice and stable.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Water column fertilizer will get into the substrate albeit not in any great amount. By the same token, the root tabs will diffuse into the water column, but again, most should be uptaken by plant roots.

Honestly, EI is the easiest way to dose, and adding root caps makes sure you are covering all the bases. I don't understand why you would need RO water to dose EI. I would just do EI + root ferts and a weekly water change. You can tweak a little here and there if you want, but EI takes away all the guess work.

Some don't like or want to use the EI method, and more power to them, but the dosing is easiest with this method, and the weekly water changes keep everything nice and stable.
I can't do the weekly water changes because of silicates in my tap water that produce diatoms if I change it too often. But thanks for the responce that is what I though but wasn't sure. I put in 32 Osmocote 00 tabs today and will dose weekly PPS Pro and see how it goes until I can afford the RO/DI unit I need, I don't want to be standing around the house all day waiting for a 100 gallon per day unit to spit out 62.5 gallons, so I want a 400 gpd unit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode