Beware SERA tests - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beware SERA tests

I tested Kh in the tank and got surprising 13! Just two days before it was 9. Then i figured what's the problem.
I use SERA kh test. The glass has 5ml mark and the instruction says to fill it to 5ml mark. Sometimes i do so, but somtimes i use medical syringe or syringe from JBL test. Now i discovered, the 5ml mark is actually a little less than 4 real ml.
I wrote a letter to SERA about it and got an answer:

Please use the syringe in that case, as these are always precise.
However, the deviations caused by the scale being somewhat dislocated usually do not cause much trouble for aquarium purposes.

Best regards

sera GmbH
Dr. Bodo Schnell

Funny huh? Error of 3 (30% !) dh is no trouble, yeah.

I also have PH and PO4 sera tests. PH seems to work more or less, though i am not sure now.

As for PO4... I added NPK ferts and i shoudl have about 0.7 ppm for PO4, but when i tested it with PO4 sera test i might have got anywhere from 0.05 to 0.25, the color is impossible to identify. Switched to JBL and saw the expected value clearly.

Arghh. Sera, WTF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Now I going to check my Red Sea kit which is a total piece of [email protected] kh is important along with ph to figure out CO2 ppm and it seem hard to find a good kh test, for me the Mardel test strips seem to work good for kh & gh. I don't remember seeing JBL anywhere, got link???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The Red Sea tubes are dead on 6 ml = 6 ml but the kh test just doesn't work.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Um.. sorry, i don't see it on amazon or ebay too. Strange. Maybe JBL is more popular in europe and not so well known in the USA?
Have you tried Aquarium Pharmaceuticals ? They are known for good quality products.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
The Red Sea tubes are dead on 6 ml = 6 ml but the kh test just doesn't work.
I agree, I used 65 drops of kh solution and still had a clear tube!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
lol, IMO the sera test kits are really very good. I agree with the others who mentioned that the red sea kH kit is absolute crap

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode