Flourish etc. Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish etc. Questions

Hi!

1)I got a small bottle of ''Flourish'' fertilizer or comprehensive plant supplement and it was a very dark, dark color. Anyways I was ordering online and had ordered a little bit larger bottle, when I started using it it is very, very light colored. The color difference is shocking. Is that normal? At first I thought maybe I got the wrong product but packaging seems to match. Anyone know the reason for the color difference?

2)Also, what is the best amount ferts to dose? My friend had told me to get this and dose every other day. Which I did...growth exploded but when looking closer at the directions I decided to do the recommended does of 1 or 2 times weekly (I do 2 times)....Growth is definitely slower now but I'm not sure how safe it is to dose ferts so frequently, also do you think it would also help feed algae to dose that frequently?

3)I also have flourish excel Im using everyday, I believe it says you can increase for lots of plants...what would you say is a good dose for 10 gallons and 20 gallons?

Allot of questions, I know. Just things Iv been wondering about and would enjoy hearing others opinions on it.

If you need more information on my tanks to answer my questions then you can read this:

The tanks are all considered low light with mostly low light plants, one tank has very low light but plants grow. Most of the plants are doing well, my banana plant tubes did good for awhile and finally started growing a bunch of leaves but then the tubes started rotting. That's the only plant that is not doing good right now... Other plants include java fern, elodea, java moss, lilys (from the bulbs.. I think I have about 10 of these growing like weeds), christmas(?) moss...golden pond penny/golden creeping jenny, penny wort from my backyard, wisteria, marimo balls, banana plant(hopefully will still have this the little plant that formed popped off when the tubes started to seem to rot but it doesn't look to have its own roots?) and some marimo has found its way on a rock...I think that's it right now..

I had some algae issues in the tanks that had a little more but still very low light, it seems to be slowly going away one is clear but still has some I think what is BGA(not real algae, i hate the stuff) try to grow just on my moss or on wood but its getting less and less...I got rid of it growing else wear. Another tank is clearing up now of various algae...Think the main cause was that they both had a little light upgrade and I left lights on too long as well....

Sorry for being soooo long...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Seachem makes a good product. You'll need more than one of their products though to make it "complete".

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I think the lighter color means it has less oxidized iron particulates but the amount of ingredients should be the same as labeled.

For low light tanks, it's better to dose in smaller amounts or just follow the direction on the bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crispino L Ramos; 05-27-2011 at 01:03 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Detnalp,

Quote:
1)I got a small bottle of ''Flourish'' fertilizer or comprehensive plant supplement and it was a very dark, dark color. Anyways I was ordering online and had ordered a little bit larger bottle, when I started using it it is very, very light colored. The color difference is shocking. Is that normal? At first I thought maybe I got the wrong product but packaging seems to match. Anyone know the reason for the color difference?
As the Flourish gets older, and it is exposed to air and heat, it becomes darker (probably due to the iron content). According to Seachem Flourish does not have an expiration date, and it is safe to use long after the manufacture date.

Quote:
2)Also, what is the best amount ferts to dose? My friend had told me to get this and dose every other day. Which I did...growth exploded but when looking closer at the directions I decided to do the recommended does of 1 or 2 times weekly (I do 2 times)....Growth is definitely slower now but I'm not sure how safe it is to dose ferts so frequently, also do you think it would also help feed algae to dose that frequently?
When I first started in this hobby I used Seachem Flourish, dosed as directed and had good growth. Excessive fertilization does not necessary equate to good, healthy growth.

Quote:
3)I also have flourish excel Im using everyday, I believe it says you can increase for lots of plants...what would you say is a good dose for 10 gallons and 20 gallons?
I have dosed Excel (Glutaraldehyde) at up to 2X the "Daily Dosage" with no ill effects to my fish; at 2X the normal dosage Excel provides algaecide properties. Vallisneria does not do well with Excel.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone, definitely helps!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Make sure to shake the bottle first as the dark matter often settles on the bottle bottom.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I did shake it but it hasn't darkened any...but then when I shake it allot of foam is create and the bottle is still pretty full so not sure how well its being shaken though I shake it pretty hard and tried leaving it upside down as well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have some store bought aquarium plant ferts that come out yellow if I don't shake and look like coffee after I do.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
Test it for presence of iron by brushing the mixture on concrete. The concrete will turn brown the next day when it's oxidized and dry. You can also do a smell test - iron has a metallic smell.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode