excel causes bubbles?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
excel causes bubbles??

so this weekend, i, slowly, got my tank set up. i planted it last night, filled it up completely, and gave it a capful of excel, just cause.

i woke up this morning and found bubbles in the tank. could they be from the excel??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
No. Something else is causing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filling a tank from the tap will cause excess oxygen and gases from the tap water to come out of solution, forming bubbles on surfaces such as the aquarium glass, plants, decorations, etc. Water in the tap is pressurized, so air and various gases get forced to dissolve into it. When it comes out of the tap, the pressure is gone, so the gases comes out of solution.

Eheim pimp #425

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Is it pearling?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i didn't use anything that would bubble to clean with...

it's deffinetly pearling, there's no co2 in this tank, and the plants were planted for only 12 hours, at night, in the dark.

so it could just be from the water??? even tho it's dechlorinated?? is it safe? (i've never had this happen before from the same water)

oh, but i did put new driftwood in there, could the air it's leaking out be forming the bubbles??

Last edited by celine; 05-24-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: forgot
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

bump, still need to know what's going on with my tank!!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

They could be from anything. Air trapped in the filter, degassing tap water, aerobic bacteria, change in temperature, that piece of wood you mentioned, anaerobic bacteria, damaged plant tissues, the bubble fairy, etc. I can't imagine it's anything to worry about unless it is, in fact, anaerobic bacteria producing hydrogen sulfide. All the bubbles would come from the substrate in that case.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i haven't seen any bubbles coming from the substrate, plus, it had been set up for one day when the bubbles appeared, so it shouldn't be bacteria, which hopefully means it's harmless, yay!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It's very common, from time to time, for tap water to have high amounts of dissolved CO2 in it... I'm thinking last night when you filled your tank was one of these times. I doubt it was the Excel that caused it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Whenever you change more than 40 or so percent of your water you will end up with bubbles all over your tank. Some people think it's pearling, but I don't know if that's accurate. It definitely is not from your first dose of excel. Read this forum and hopefully that helps.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...revisited.html
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, i'm convinced! it's really a relief, the last time i had bubbles like that in a tank was from the ammonia i was dosing to do the cycle, and it's having surfacants. i've been scarred since then.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Pearling is from plants producing oxygen during photosynthesis. Not likely in a dark tank. Tap water is under pressure and has lots of dissolved gases in it. Under reduced pressure these gases will come out of solution and leave bubbles on everything.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine View Post
bump, still need to know what's going on with my tank!!!
You didn't believe my first post? I answered your concern within 2 hrs of posting lol

Eheim pimp #425
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well you weren't exactly descriptive i'm one of those detail oriented people that need exact answers
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine View Post
well you weren't exactly descriptive i'm one of those detail oriented people that need exact answers
I was extremely descriptive. I told you why the bubbles were there exactly, as well as what they were made of.

Eheim pimp #425

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode