Why is it so impossible to open a bottle of Flourish Excel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Why is it so impossible to open a bottle of Flourish Excel?

This annoys me so much. That "push down and turn" bottle cap is SO frustrating. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes and a hurting hand just to open the bottle because it refuses to open for my first 100 tries, then one time it just works. I hate this bottle. Anything that takes more than 1 minute to open really pisses me off. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
HAHAHA, I know what you mean...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you think that's fun you should try opening one that's developed a pinhole leak.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Just find a similar bottle the same ml size and of course a better cap. Then just pour the amount of Excel you have into the other bottle. I use a squeeze bottle used for mustard, etc. It's a lot easier with those. Be sure to find one with a nice medium hole on top that don't add pressure when squeezing.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hahaha!

I remember bringing home that first bottle and thinking the cap was defective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NIKON Pimp Club #003
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Weird. The bottle I have is a regular twist off.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've seen both varieties

I am curious why they want child proof caps on excel, but not their other products...

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Excel is deadly toxic! It needs a child safety cap if there are any children anywhere near it. Used as directed it is probably safe enough, but it isn't something to play with safely.

Hoppy
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Then why is it I have seen it sold with regular old twist off caps as well? Was that some antique bottle I bought by mistake?

And I would think some of the other seachem products would also be deadly toxic...

But Excel smells really good... so I could see a kid thinkin about takin the plunge...

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
Then why is it I have seen it sold with regular old twist off caps as well? Was that some antique bottle I bought by mistake?

And I would think some of the other seachem products would also be deadly toxic...

But Excel smells really good... so I could see a kid thinkin about takin the plunge...
Don't be huffing the excel. The active ingredient in excel causes occupational asthma due to the vapors. Albeit this is usually because it is in aeresolized spray, but I wouldn't screw around with it.

The older bottles do not have child lock lids, which means they are likely much less effective at this point as excel breaks down over time.

Keep this crap out of reach of your kids.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Best to skip excel all together and get CO2. It's not that effective but pretty good at killing algae.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Best to skip excel all together and get CO2. It's not that effective but pretty good at killing algae.
Agreed. I only use it now for algae recovery.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Agreed. I only use it now for algae recovery.
Hey, Hey now...I beg to differ. I've got several tanks that grow like wild fire with glutaraldehyde as their only source of CO2.

I hate the Excel bottle too. I use it to hold my Cidex and it's definitely a PITA. One day I'll get another bottle. Excel is such a ripoff I see reusing the bottle as a way to get my money's worth!

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When you one day look in the mirror and see horns sprouting in front of your ears, and blue streaks across your forehead, plus pure white hair, don't say we didn't warn you that Excel is toxic.

Seriously, just because something has never given you a problem is not a reason to doubt the warnings about it. Excel is in a different category than anything else Seachem sells for planted tanks, as far as potential toxicity is concerned.

Hoppy
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
Hey, Hey now...I beg to differ. I've got several tanks that grow like wild fire with glutaraldehyde as their only source of CO2.
It doesn't offer CO2 but a carbon type molecule supposedly mimics the 'dark' reaction carbon molecule. Theoretically if you feed excel, you don't even need the lights to be on

Has anyone tried this?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode