False KH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
False KH?

I Just tested a new tank, I havent used my KH kit in awhile now the water rang in at KH=46* The last time I tested my faucet water I sware it wasnt that high,
my kit is about 6 months old, time for new reagents?

Ps ill be testing the tap tommorow its late, and my gf is whining that I wont come to bed and stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Don't drink the water!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
is that 46 degrees or 46 ppm?

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I would think that 46 ppm would definitely be a false reading. Test you kit on some spring water or distilled water. Distilled water should give you a reading of zero or add some buffer to a gallon of distilled water (raise the Kh to 5ppm for example).

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607
Im gonna have to agree its time for a new kit, considering that i never acheived the start color, Ill test some spring water tommorow and see if my kit is fubared,

Exactly what are optimum levels for just about every water parameter? both of my tanks are 3.7wpg, with heavy diy C02.

And nope I dont drink that nasty city water, Ive been considering getting an ro unit to keep a reef again, will this be of any benefit to my planted tanks?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
So is that 46 degrees or ppm? Either way it sound like you need a new test kit. 46 ppm is way to soft for western NY and 46 degrees is so hard you should be able to walk on water Well your tank water anyway.

Testing the tap water will be a good test as to whether or not you need new reagents. What are you using for substrate/hardscape?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive got a combo of pea gravel/flourite and some driftwood. I might stop by my lfs and get a new kit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingnerd607
Im gonna have to agree its time for a new kit, considering that i never acheived the start color, Ill test some spring water tommorow and see if my kit is fubared,
If you never say the start color (blue I assume) and went directly to orange your water could be < 1*. Try testing 10 ml (or 2X the recomended volume) and divide the answer in half.

Moved to Tucson.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ill give that a shot, im sure its my test kit though thanks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, Ive tested my tap water. Im using Red sea kits. I tested the tap.. It doesnt change colors at all, doesnt start at blue, nor go to the pinkish color. I am appx. 10% color blind so I had my gf verify these results. I also tested the tank water again, same results as with my tap. Should i get a new kit? Also according to my co2 kit, my co2 is @ 32ppm, Is this kit accurate? Gee, all this confusion makes me wanna go back to medium-low light

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode