water hardness from 4 to 300 in just one day - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
water hardness from 4 to 300 in just one day

am using RO water and test it before i add it to the tank, it was reading 4ppm and once i add it to my tank it was reading 200 right away and then next day it was 300ppm and now its 500ppm. i use 100% RO water and not sure how the GH is being increased so fast. i only dose Ca and Mg which i could blame but i know that cant be it. not sure whats going on.

the PH is 7.0 and KH is 80ppm. any idea whats going on, i don't want my plants to die again because i just ordered some couple of days ago. i use the RO water from walmart, the GH was reading 4ppm before adding it to the tank.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Something leaching in the tank? Dosing 200ppm calcium would have to be a big dose.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Something leaching in the tank? Dosing 200ppm calcium would have to be a big dose.
dosing 2 tablespoon of Ca and Mg sulfate once a week during water change. its a 50G high light, pressurized co2 tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

additional info:

organic soil topped with eco complete/ flourite black sand mix

running 2x rena xp2, media potting scrubber and lava rock.

running 108w T5HO 28" away from substrate

EI dosing

1 tsp nitrogen, 1 tsp potassium, 1/8 tsp phosphate 3x week
CSM+b 3x week along with some Iron

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
4 ppm, or 4 degrees? 4 ppm is virtually nothing.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
4 ppm, or 4 degrees? 4 ppm is virtually nothing.
i don't think you read my post carefully mate. i said the water i added was tested 4ppm before i added to my tank and then i tested it right after adding it and it was like 200ppm right away. and next day it was 300ppm and more higher the next day.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd consider looking at the test itself as a possible culprit. It just seems unlikely that you'd go through such a wide swing without having changed something major.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
I'd consider looking at the test itself as a possible culprit. It just seems unlikely that you'd go through such a wide swing without having changed something major.
i tested the GH again, this time with the tds meter and its showing 700ppm.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Something in the tank is dissolving in the water, and that something probably is calcium carbonate. Eco Complete has, at times, been prone to do that, but I thought they had solved that problem. Does the KH go up too?

Hoppy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Something in the tank is dissolving in the water, and that something probably is calcium carbonate. Eco Complete has, at times, been prone to do that, but I thought they had solved that problem. Does the KH go up too?

haven't really tested for Kh much, but it was reading 80ppm when tested yesterday. i use 100% RO and i think the Kh should be low in that case, but it isn't that low either as you can see.

i hope i don't have to redo my tank again, because last time i did it due to similar problem.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Since KH is carbonates, and GH is calcium (mostly), then if both are going up you are dissolving calcium carbonate from something. When it goes up that fast it seems like low pH combined with calcium carbonate in the tank, or in the filter.

Hoppy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Since KH is carbonates, and GH is calcium (mostly), then if both are going up you are dissolving calcium carbonate from something. When it goes up that fast it seems like low pH combined with calcium carbonate in the tank, or in the filter.

can we consider lava rock might be causing any problem? that's the only thing which i have in my filter media beside potting scrubber. i cant think of anything else which could leach calcium carbonate, i dont even have any driftwood, all i have is Eco-complete/flourite black sand, potting soil and plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode