High pH and kh, acclimating fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile High pH and kh, acclimating fish

My pH is 8.4 in all three of my tanks. It starts out at 8.0 from the faucet. The only problem I run into is fish getting ich when I first get them. Not always, I think it depends on how long the LFS has had the fish in their store. My kh is 16degrees. Anyone have any suggestion on getting the ph lower, or maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I have heard different views on this. I am unable to keep really delicate fish though.

Also, I have heard of several different methods on acclimating fish. Anyone have any suggestions that work well for them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Let the water sit overnight and then measure it the next day. If you're still getting a pH value of 8.0 and then it increases to 8.4, then there's something in your tank that's buffering and raising your values. Also, are you running CO2 on this tank (drives pH values down, depending on the hardness)?

As for keeping fish at those pH values, it'll take a long acclimation period (depends on what kind of fish, how long the LFS had them, and what the water parameters of the store was).

Drip method for me during acclimation. Measure pH value inside the bag and compare it with pH value inside the tank. Start dripping water from tank to bucket until pH values match (length of time and drip rates depend on the differences in pH values, but I've done 16 hour drips before).

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Okey, I'll try leaving some water out over night and see what happens. My kH is 16degrees(not sure what that is in ppms). I have a CO2 bubble counter injector, and this is the second month with the co2(it's a Hagen Plant Grow Natural System). I have that in the 29gallon. I was thinking about adding another one. According to my last calculation the co2 was around 3(very low).

I get confused about the hardness, is that the kH or gH? I have read somewhere that the kH is what keeps your pH from jumping around. If you have a high kH does that you'll have a hard time lowering pH.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capplema
I get confused about the hardness, is that the kH or gH? I have read somewhere that the kH is what keeps your pH from jumping around. If you have a high kH does that you'll have a hard time lowering pH.

gH is your total hardnes, the Kh is the buffering capcity of the water and is usually a percentage of the gH (if you dont mess around with water params).

High kH will mean that it has a high buffering capacity and therefore tend to have a stable pH. If yours is rising (pH) then yes I would think there is somthing in your aquarium that is increasing the buffering capacity.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:55 PM

Kh and pH are interelated. Kh is not only buffering ability, but alkalinity..and as alkalinity increases, so does pH.
Without getting into math or chemistry, my tap water is 8dKh and 7.8pH (rested). With a dKh of 16, I could easily see a pH of 8.4 (rested). This time of year tap water tends to be higher in dissolved CO2 which lowers your pH until it outgasses, then your pH goes to a normal 'rested' level.

In other words - what you're seeing sounds very normal. I'd use a mix of R/O water if you wanted to lower hardness/pH a little. Then again, if you kept certain cichlids, you'd have the perfect water for them to start with!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode