Cloudy water woes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cloudy water woes

I've always waited these things out although Ive never had one last this long. Thank is a 65 that was set up just over 3 months ago and cycled without fish. Substrate is MTS, filter is Eheim 2217 and I'm running a tunze PH for additional circulation. Lighting is 4x39w T5 all Giesemann midday bulbs. Water tests are all fine, CO2 seems to be within spec based on plant growth and drop checker, fluid changed recently. Up until today I've been dosing seachem liquids, Flourish, potassium and a half cap iron dosed every other day, dry ferts just came in today. I was using straight RO, had the same cloudy issue and started using 50/50 RO/Tap about 3 weeks ago. The PH is normally around 6.4 with a KH of 5.

The tank was clear and cycled when I added fish, 25 rummynose, pic below. That went well and two weeks later I added 25 more from the same batch/tank as the first batch. Within two days the water clouded and fish started floating at about two a day. I tested for ammonia/nitrite and found none, all other water params were the same, at zero. The fish appeared to have fins missing and mouth parts gone and were swimming in loops. I spoke to my LFS and none of the remaining rummynose in their tank had issues. I chalked the pricey loss up to them being rummynose. Now a month later and I have 15 left all fine and healthy but I still have the cloudy water issue. The pic below was taken two days after a 50% water change. This will progressively get worse and on water change day, weekly, I cannot even see the plants in the front of the tank. Ive been holding off on a diatom filter but it looks as if this will be my only option at this point? I'd like to someday be able to see the plants in the back of the tank and start scaping.

Thanks,

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q...lanted%20Tank/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had a mature tank that went cloudy like that. I would do daily 20% changes and then the very next day it was back, sometimes worse than before. Plant growth ceased, some melted and even some fish died.

It started because I cleaned to much of the filter media at once, had really high light with not enough/consistent CO2 and kept 'adding chemicals'.

I was trying to 'fight' the water instead of working with it.

In the end I was able to stabilize the CO2 levels, rearranged the filter media, re-stocked with plants and let it all settle for a few days.

I stopped adding chemicals to try and counteract changes in water chemistry and just let the tank sort itself out.

Purigen is also fantastic at clearing water.

Hope something in there is of some help.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Kill the lights for a couple of days and see if it helps.

Eheim Pimp #448

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Dan View Post
I had a mature tank that went cloudy like that. I would do daily 20% changes and then the very next day it was back, sometimes worse than before. Plant growth ceased, some melted and even some fish died.

It started because I cleaned to much of the filter media at once, had really high light with not enough/consistent CO2 and kept 'adding chemicals'.

I was trying to 'fight' the water instead of working with it.

In the end I was able to stabilize the CO2 levels, rearranged the filter media, re-stocked with plants and let it all settle for a few days.

I stopped adding chemicals to try and counteract changes in water chemistry and just let the tank sort itself out.

Purigen is also fantastic at clearing water.

Hope something in there is of some help.
Do you rinse the Purigen under tap water or do you rinse it in dechlorinated water? Also what kind of filter do have and how do you put the Purigen in it? I'm thinking about using it to get rid of cloudy water in my tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ill try both options since they are both inexpensive. I knew I shouldnt have thrown that old magnum HOT away. Trying to find a used diatom filter locally and I'm not getting anywhere.

Thanks,
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I was looking into diatom filters and just read on another thread on here that someone said they used one a while back and it would work well while using it but ended up creating more problems in the end b/c of all the silicates in the DE.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
They probably didnt use the filter right. If you dont prime the de in the filter properly it will get everywhere and definetly cause diatoms. Its been awhile since ive used one but they work really well for polishing water. The filter consists of a micron bag that fits over the pump. You fill the canister with water and add the recommended amount of de. The you get somthing like a 1 gallon container fill it with water and put the intake and output of the filter in the container. Run the filter till the water in the container is clear. Then leaving the filter on dunk the container in your tank and remove the container. When I was a noob I got a bad case of green water and a diatom filter was the only thing that got rid of it. Nothing will polish your water better my lfs uses one. If your cloudy water is bacterial Im not sure a df will cure it though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode