Iron filings/shavings in the aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Iron filings/shavings in the aquarium?

I work in the service department in a dealership and we are constantly emptying a trash can full of iron shavings from brake rotors in the dumpster. Could these be used in the substrate in a tank or in some manner to fertilize? It just seems like a waste to throw this much iron out every day. Just a thought.

J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Is it clean? I would assume it would have at the very least grease, brake dust, oil, road grime etc. that would be in there as well.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree, even if the iron can be used, it will be awefully dangerous to put in a tank no matter how much you clean it. Automotive chemicals are not easy to clean, or is it good for animals.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Wouldn't it rust? I think plants need iron the element not iron alloys used in automotive. You probably can't be sure that the iron that you are tossing is pure iron....it is probably not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd not do it. If you don't want to waste it you could probably stock up for a year and sell it for scrap metal...Store it under mineral oil and it won't rust.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Never seen an iron rotor. Steel....yes. Seen those....

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
Unless we are talking motorcycles, bicycles or karts I doubt you have seen steel rotors. Car and truck rotors are cast iron or carbon.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
I didn't even think about the other chemicals on the rotor... especially the deposits from the brake pads themselves.

It was just a curious thought. Nothing more.

J

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
really? I have never seen a steel rotor on a car or truck. only iron.

OP I wouldn't just because of other contaminants. if they washed them before turning them I would think you would be fine but the chances of you getting the other guys in the shop to scrub rotors first...... slim to none.

what you could do is. get a used rotor. wash it yourself (powerwasher) then have one of the guys turn the heck out of it and take those filings that you know are clean. you can make a buttload of filings from one rotor if you just keep returning it.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
Wouldn't it rust? I think plants need iron the element not iron alloys used in automotive. You probably can't be sure that the iron that you are tossing is pure iron....it is probably not.
wouldnt matter once it rusts its still iron oxide. wether it comes from a car, boat, pan, nail etc. iron oxide is iron oxide.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode