Dosing Flourish Iron - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dosing Flourish Iron

Hello I am wondering how often I should be dosing Flourish Iron in order to get more red out of my red plants while also not harming my shrimp. Will high levels of iron harm or kill shrimp, specifically OEBT's? The bottle says to dose to maintain levels at about 0.10 mg/L iron. However I have heard that iron test kits are extremely inaccurate and not worth the money, so I am not sure how I can maintain safe levels without being able to measure it. I have a 29 gallon with pressurized co2, also dosing macro and micronutrients (which also contain iron, just not sure how much). Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I don't apply iron chelate or any fertilizer to my shrimp tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Crispino L Ramos; 05-17-2011 at 05:58 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
i dose seachem iron every day as per the bottle directions.
i have been having good luck with great healthy growth.
i also use the seachem iron test kit and i "believe" it is working fine.
i have great luck with all seachem products.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your responses. I will take a look at the seachem iron test kit, I'm assuming it is better than nothing.

Flwrbed, do you have shrimp in your tank? If so, have you noticed them breeding less readily than without dosing the iron every day.

I would like to have tank meant solely for shrimp tanks where I don't have to worry about dosing fertilizers but unfortunately due to space and monetary constrictions that is not an option for me. I am just keeping shrimp in my heavily planted tank where I have HC, Diandra, Rotala green, nanjenshan, blyxa japonica and my mytery red plant that I believe to be Rotala Colorata. I am more concerned about the health of my shrimp than the redness of the plant. However if the iron does not harm the shrimp then I would really like to bring out the red more in the colorata, and I have heard that dosing Iron will help with that.

Any experience/advice with this, whether it be dosing iron with shrimp present, or whether the iron noticably works to make plants more red, is greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was dosing iron but I stopped due to an outbreak of diatoms. Who knows if they were related. That being said, I still use flourish iron + the EI system. Im adding some armanos soon so if your wondering if they survive Ill keep you posted. Imo iron helps red plants.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispino Ramos View Post
I don't apply iron chelate or any fertilizer to my shrimp tanks.
i did the same because i ended up loosing hundreds of rcs in my 55 when dosing 13% iron chelate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
i did the same because i ended up loosing hundreds of rcs in my 55 when dosing 13% iron chelate.
Wow, that is good to know. However Flourish iron is apparently in the ferrous state (Fe+2) and not chelated by EDTA (Fe+3 state), so it is not an iron chelate. Do you think the iron chelate is more harmful?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't have shrimps but I have a crab in my tank. I dose 0.2 ppm (1x dose) of fluorish iron twice a week with no ill effect on my crab.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
I dose 13% iron chelate on all my tanks and I've never had any problems. Are you sure it was the iron chelate?

-

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I doubt there is any issue with brood production and dosing. CO2/Excel are more likely issues here. Those did influence brood production in RCS and in CRS. Quite a bit. I have a non CO2 tank that is dosed fairly regularly due to emergent growth. Production is at least 3-5X higher, whereas the dosing of ferts is independent and the same between tanks. They still bred in CO2 enriched tanks, just nowhere as much.

If you have non CO2 tanks without emergent growth, then there's not a great need for dosing to begin with.
So............moss tanks without CO2, soft water, decent TDS etc......not bad places to grow them.

High light tanks, CO2 jacked up, ferts are likely the least of your issues.

How many folks kill fish with ferts?
None........
How many kill fish with CO2?
Lots........
Think the scenario is any different for shrimp?
Doubtful.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I owned a small landscape business for over 20 years and chelated iron is the main source of dark green grass and I would guess it would help color in other plants. So if dosing won't harm your shrimp I would say you could either dose the smallest recommended amount on a schedule until you see a change in plant color or test for fe, or just dose away at a higher amount less often. I have a gallon of Kent freshwater plant and it states 5 to 15 ml per 30 gallons one to three times per week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode