Problems After A Rescape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Problems After A Rescape

So I rescaped my 29 gallon tank this weekend and I am having all kinds of problems now. I pulled everything out of the tank completely and started over. I reused everything and added some decorations. I re-used 75% of the water from the tank. My water was very cloudy after all the debris settled from re-filling the tank. It almost appeared that it was re-cycling again. I already had put all my fish, shrimp and plants back into the tank. My fish started acting funny after about 8 hours. I tested my water parameters and they were:

PH: 6.8
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 1.0
Ammonia: 1.0

I immediately did a 50% water change. The water was still cloudy and the parameters were still the same so I did another 50% water change. I woke up this morning to all of my fish dead and the parameters are the same but the water is a lot clearer. My plants are now the next things that are dying and are actually breaking down completely. My shrimp appear to be fine as they are not showing any bad signs but I don't know what to do.

Did this whole project cause my tank to re-cycle? Is there something that is here that could be killing my plants? I am still doing my daily ei dosing along with pressurized co2 and still nothing is happening. I know it's only been 2 days but I'm kinda freaking out. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
The last tank I broke down and moved, I rinsed the substrate throughly and used all new water. I don't do much testing, but the water was never cloudy and I didn't lose anything. I think your problem may be with your substrate. Did you clean it at all before reusing it?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I personally wouldn't use old substrate as it's loaded w/ crap. Stirring it all up most likely caused your ammonia spike and mini cycle. I use new water, not old.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
I personally wouldn't use old substrate as it's loaded w/ crap. Stirring it all up most likely caused your ammonia spike and mini cycle. I use new water, not old.
yup thats what i do, 'cept i reuse substrate but put them into a bucket and do a boiling water wash. this usually kills parasites and also takes the "crap" out of your water

BELIEVE IT!!!!!
new tank = new algae!

NIKON PIMP#43!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I did not rinse my substrate at all before I put it back in cause I didn't want it to cycle again and I figured the beneficial bacteria would stay there. Didn't think about the ammonia spike. So I guess, at this point, should I take all the substrate out again and rinse it all and start fresh or what? I don't want to fight taking all the shrimp out if I don't have to. Also, what about the plants? What is causing them to die?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode