Best time to dose your tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Best time to dose your tank?

When do you guys dose your tanks? Is it best before the lights go on in the morning? Or off at night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I've been dosing in the late evening after lights out, but I'm not sure why.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
I usually dose my tank 45 minutes to an hour before the lights come on. The reason I do that, is because I read on here that it was an ideal time.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #462: Eheim 2213/2215

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I dose in the morning before the lights come on.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
i dose in the dark also, but again.....why? lol
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Algae Grower

Generally in the evening, no real reason why, it's just when I am in the habit of doing it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Depends on what you're dosing. If you're dosing with anything other than EI, probably anytime before lights come on. And, since Excel has a limited lifespan (24 hours is the best guess), if you use it as a carbon source, best to dose not too long before the photoperiod (rather than, for example, the night before).

However, if you're dosing EI, it really doesn't matter. The whole idea of EI is to make sure plants always have more than enough nutrients, so even missing a day or two won't make a difference. I dose dry ferts whenever I happen to remember during the day.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Depends on what you're dosing. If you're dosing with anything other than EI, probably anytime before lights come on. And, since Excel has a limited lifespan (24 hours is the best guess), if you use it as a carbon source, best to dose not too long before the photoperiod (rather than, for example, the night before).

However, if you're dosing EI, it really doesn't matter. The whole idea of EI is to make sure plants always have more than enough nutrients, so even missing a day or two won't make a difference. I dose dry ferts whenever I happen to remember during the day.
good reply! thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I do not think it matters and no one has shown me anything worth a hootannie as to why it would matter. Daily vs 2-3x a week, as long as the total amounts are present in non limiting amounts, none of this matters.

If you limit plants, then you HAVE NO COMPARATIVE CONTROL TO COMPARE ANY DIFFERENCE IN TREATMENTS(TIME OF DOSING). So you cannot say a darn thing......this is the point of setting up a test with a control to begin with.

Light intensity, CO2 etc also play large roles...........and then there's sediment sources, fish waste etc.......

The only thing might be just making sure you dose at all....and doing so on a good routine. So whatever gets that done is what is best for you.

So sediment sources, feed fish good, use less light intensity, dose more rather than less.....pay attention more to CO2, less on time of day to dose.

etc.........

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
So, there wouldn't any benefit to add micros before lights on? I was under the impression that edta iron's availability is time limited. I've out of habit added csm+b and dtpa before lights on for that reason.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I dose ferts when the lights are on - then I can check the plants, CO2, filter, fish, etc..

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow Tom! who piss ed you off today?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I actually understand why he's fired about a subject like this. 100million opinions, and zero facts/test to back them up. the basics are laid out, if your dosing Non-limiting amounts, there's more than can be used at all times so it doesn't matter, if your limiting the amounts, then you need a super stringent test run with proper controls, or there is no way of know whether one is better than the other. anything else is pure heresay. and people will often argue their opinion (i'm not saying state) like its a scientific fact. I would have to guess its a subject tom has seen 2 or 3 thousand times and all the same debates. so he wrote out a blunt answer.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

...bowing out now. Im totally out of my depth. I didnt mean any disrespect

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode