Hard! water - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
sidefunk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 282
Hard! water

Just tested my GH and it was 12 dGH. Explains why my HC has not been doing so hot and also the lackluster growth in my other plants. I have a RO/DI unit for my saltwater tank and have been using 1/2 tap 1/2 RO/DI for my water changes.

My question is does anyone have any experience using all RO/DI water for changes? I have a good amount of rock in my tank which I believe is the cause of my extremely hard water. I'm thinking that the rock might make up for what I would not be getting from the tap water or is there other minerals/things that I need to get from the tap?

I will start upping the ratio of RO/DI and see what happens, but if anyone has experience with dealing with such hard and would be willing to give a thought it would be much appreciated.
sidefunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Shrimpsanity
 
shrimpnmoss's Avatar
 
PTrader: (62/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 47° 31' 49" N / 122° 1' 53" W
Posts: 3,052
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
HC will not do well in pure RO either. I'd mix your water 1/2 and 1/2.
shrimpnmoss is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (29/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 1,167
I don't maintain any tanks that are primarily for the purpose of growing plants in straight ro water. I generally do 1:1 or 3:2 mixes of ro to tap.

gH isn't as big of a deal as kH and I've had quite few 'difficult,' soft water species do very well in water with a gH as high as 10. That said, the kH is always 1-2.

If you overdo it with the ro you can always just remineralize with a planted tank gH booster like seachem equilibrium.

It's a good idea to experiment with adding more ro and make sure that you're checking both your kH and gH. Just don't do anything too drastic; a huge swing in gH can cause some serious melting.
snausage is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower
 
skerzfan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Juniata, NE
Posts: 31
My water is harder than yours! I use it as is from the tap. I've got pretty much South/Central/North American plants and most seem to be thriving. Like a jungle I'm afraid. Some of them, Potamogeton gayi, for instance have been slow adapting, but most do just fine. Your RO blending should work out fine. You can check out my profile under View User Tanks for more info. I had melting initially with some plants, but was quite surprised how most came around.

I've got a copy of my water report if you'd like something to make you feel better about yours. LOL

What did the catfish say when he ran into a concrete wall?... "Dam!"
skerzfan is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
I don't maintain any tanks that are primarily for the purpose of growing plants in straight ro water. I generally do 1:1 or 3:2 mixes of ro to tap.

gH isn't as big of a deal as kH and I've had quite few 'difficult,' soft water species do very well in water with a gH as high as 10. That said, the kH is always 1-2.

If you overdo it with the ro you can always just remineralize with a planted tank gH booster like seachem equilibrium.

It's a good idea to experiment with adding more ro and make sure that you're checking both your kH and gH. Just don't do anything too drastic; a huge swing in gH can cause some serious melting.
i agree with you about the GH not being issue, its always KH which effect the plant growth. i recently switched to RO water and could see the difference in the plant growth already.

but i did not experience any melting due to sudden change in the water, i added 40% RO straight to my tap water during the water change, this is when it was first day ever when i switched to RO water. did not notice any melting of plants and fish were also ok, however the GH was still high.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happi is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skerzfan View Post
My water is harder than yours! I use it as is from the tap. I've got pretty much South/Central/North American plants and most seem to be thriving. Like a jungle I'm afraid. Some of them, Potamogeton gayi, for instance have been slow adapting, but most do just fine. Your RO blending should work out fine. You can check out my profile under View User Tanks for more info. I had melting initially with some plants, but was quite surprised how most came around.

I've got a copy of my water report if you'd like something to make you feel better about yours. LOL

I think your KH levels must be low. if its lower than 11 then you will see that the plant will thrive.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happi is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Algae Grower
 
skerzfan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Juniata, NE
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
I think your KH levels must be low. if its lower than 11 then you will see that the plant will thrive.
Just did a measurement from my tank and got 12 dKH, measurement from my tank storing my water for changes showed 13 dKH. I guess I'm border line.

Measurement of GH indicated 15.

Well, it is what it is. I'm satisfied with my growth and won't go the RO blend route for now.

I use 'raw' well water now. We have a water softener, but I don't use any of the softened water due to the sodium issues. When the current batch of salt in my softener runs out I'm switching over to potassium chloride. When I see the results of the softened water I may start blending.

What did the catfish say when he ran into a concrete wall?... "Dam!"
skerzfan is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
sidefunk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 282
Hmm, I will have to have a look at my KH levels and look further into the effects of KH on plant growth. Any suggestions for resources?
sidefunk is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome